We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Companies ?

South Australia...
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Companies ?

My wife and I are shortly to make our 4th visit on vacation to Scottsdale (wishing the hours away!). This time we are renting a property instead of staying at a hotel and I am also renting a car for our (2) weeks stay.

We plan to eat out quite a number of times and although we have a car, I would prefer to arrange taxi's to/from restaurants so I don't need to worry about having some wine.

Can anyone recommend a good/relable taxi service. We don't need a limo so straightforward taxi is what we are after.

We will be staying in the North Scottsdale area.

Thanks for your help

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Companies ?

You are best off taking your car. It will save you money time and hassle.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
361 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Companies ?

This is an interesting question because I just returned from Scottsdale and the taxi system has me baffled! There seems to be mostly "gypsy" cabs which are individuals in their own cars who drive you where you want to go. They have no meters and seemed to charge very high rates. Also, once the driver had no idea where he was going and after using his GPS with no success asked the car beside us stopped at the traffic light which way to go! Another time we got into a "real" taxi which was owned by a company and also had a meter. The drive from the Fashion Mall to our hotel showed $5 on the meter but he charged us $15, stating that was the minimun. I did ask a few locals what the deal was and one said to try to hop in a Discount Taxi car the next time we were looking for one...but I never saw any from that company around. Next time we are definitely renting a car as we just about went broke taking taxis!!

South Australia...
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Companies ?

An update....

I have been in touch with a Scottsdale cab company and it seems that (for them) there is an $8 initial charge after which the fare is whatever is on the meter EXCEPT that the minimum charge is $15.

This seems to be par for the course though the inital charge can vary but that doesn't matter if the minimum fare is $15.

I guess they don't say Scottsdale is "upscale" for nothing!!

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Companies ?

The only time we've used taxis here in Phoenix were from the airport and that is safe. There is someone in the taxi lane to regulate what taxis drive up for passengers. There is only a $3 charge as a startup charge.

I wouldn't get into any taxi unless there was a meter. Here is a site giving tips about hiring a taxi in Phoenix

phoenix.about.com/od/transcabs/a/taxitips.htm

Look for that sticker!!

Here is another site that allows people to rate taxis

http://local.yahoo.com/AZ/Phoenix/Travel+Lodging/Taxi+Services

Perhaps the restaurants could also recommend a reliable taxi service - there must be other visitors who also use taxis to and from their restaurants.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Companies ?

Scotsman

I forgot to add - thanks for being a responsible drinker and not driving! That is commendable!

We visited your beautiful city several years ago and loved touring the castle up on the hill.

South Australia...
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Companies ?

Thanks for your tips LovemyAcura.

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh. You can probably understand why we are seeking some sunshine and warm weather though :)

and of course......... "At least its a DRY heat!"

7. Re: Taxi Companies ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Scottsdale