We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town Scottsdale and Hotels

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans
10 posts
Save Topic
Old Town Scottsdale and Hotels

We will be flying into Phoenix and staying one night before travelling to Sedona. We would like to stay at the Royal Palms Hotel(1st option) or the Biltmore; however, it does not seem like said hotels have the capability to walk to Old Town Scottsdale. Therefore, I would like suggestions about hotels that are right in "old" town. The two options I found were Mondarion Hotel and FireSky. We would prefer FireSky over the more modern hotel. Does anyone have better suggestions, if not comments re staying at the Royal Palms and driving to old town?

Thanks!

Arizona
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Town Scottsdale and Hotels

The Mondrian is within walking distance to Old Town. FireSky is not, unless you want to walk almost two miles one way.

I would suggest the Mondrian, or Hotel Valley Ho. Valley Ho is a bit on the west fringe of Old Town, but it's a reasonable walking distance.

There is also a Courtyard by Marriott and a Hilton Garden Inn in Old Town.

You are right about Royal Palms and the Biltmore. great properties, but not walking distance from Old Town - not at all.

Arizona
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Town Scottsdale and Hotels

I would recommend either the Hotel Valley Ho or the Marriott Suites. Both are in Old Town, with the Marriott being closer to the epicenter (assumed to be the junction of Scottsdale Rd and Indian School). I would not recommend the Mondrian. The rooms are very small, repainted 1960's Holiday Inn and the staff there is aloof.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
641 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Town Scottsdale and Hotels

I would also throw in the Hilton Garden Inn on Indian School....great location and it's a Hilton...lives up to the standards. Great location too for walking Old Town.

Temecula, California
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
533 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Town Scottsdale and Hotels

Really comes down to a choice, which is most important? If you want to be able to walk comfortably to Old Town, stay at the Hilton (First choice), or Marriott (Second).

If you want to stay at one of the nicest resorts in Scottsdale, definately stay at the Royal Palms, and then just take the short drive to Old Town.

The only factor I would put into the mix is, which are you going to spend the most time doing...staying by the pool, or walking Old Town. Stay where your time is going to be spent.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,357 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Town Scottsdale and Hotels

I agree with the poster above; I'd stay at the Royal Palms any day, and simply drive to Old Town Scottsdale. If you look at the Royal Palms website, they often have "hot" dates for summer, with drastically reduced rates. You'd be in great shape if your trip coincided with one of these.

Also, I am personally not too fond of some of the hotels in Old Town Scottsdale. I know everyone raves about the Mondrian and Valley Ho, but I hate modern hotels, and yes - the staff can be a bit snooty at these places. Also, that part of Scottsdale is still really spread out, and in the summer, you might want your car to help out a bit! Walking too far in the heat is no fun. Again, I don't see a huge advantage to staying directly in Old Town, as opposed to simply driving there. Royal Palms is a very short drive away, and it really is one of the top three resorts in Metro Phoenix.

phoenix
Level Contributor
145 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Town Scottsdale and Hotels

Love the Valley Ho -- cool vibe, but the Palms and Biltmore way outclass it. I'm not wild about the Hilton or Marriott. Here's something to consider...get a driver or shuttle. Very easy to do and I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Biltmore or Palms. As for the snootiness -- welcome to Scottsdale!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,357 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Town Scottsdale and Hotels

No, not everyone is snooty in Scottsdale. Yes, you will find some, but I wish people wouldn't encourage that mindset. And yes, I've spent much time in Scottsdale. It just depends on where you choose to go spend your time, and where you stay. And some resorts exude class and have fantastic service and great people, while others just seem to want to chase the "think I'm hip, Hollywood-wannabee, plastic and silicone, look at my new car and clothes" types. I prefer the former. JMHO. ;)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Town Scottsdale and Hotels

Hey thank you soo much -gicves me lots of things to research...

G.C... did see a small part of this last year when visiting L.V.. went to the sky walk.. but I assume thats on the other side - would that be the north rim?

No doubt will return with some more questions thank you

Arizona
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Town Scottsdale and Hotels

The above poster opened the Pandora's Box about Skywalk.

That attraction is on the West rim, which is not a part of the National Park and which, I am told is not nearly as picturesque as the South Rim or North Rim.

The North Rim is beautiful, with a nice lodge and restaurant. The only thing at Skywalk is, well, Skywalk. No overnight accommodations there.

If you have a chance to go to the North Rim, do so. The view of the canyon is not as grandiose as the South Rim, but it's still fabulous.

Only about 10 percent of the Canyon visitation is due to the North Rim, so there are no crowds. It's great.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Town Scottsdale and Hotels

Doug thank you for that... I thought the "west"rim - skywalk was pretty cool.. so must go when in scottsdale...stay over sounds good too...we're ataying at the The Westin Kierland Villas...are these in teh middle of nowhere....?

Now dont laugh at this but my husband would like to know if there are any tommy bahama shops in or near by?

Thanks again...