We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico trip from Scottsdale

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottish Western...
Level Contributor
80 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico trip from Scottsdale

Hi there,

My partener as a notion that he would like to take a wee side trip into Mexico from Scottsdale. Is this do-able or even advisable?

I have read some reports of the border towns being a bit dodgy owing to the poverty there, and I understand that we all must look wealthy.Do they resent tourists? I wouldnot like to find ourselves in a situation owing to our ignorance.

Would there be problems for two UK holidaymakers re-entering the USA after a day or so in Mexico?

Taking the hire car over the border doesnot seem an option, any ideas or input from fellow tripadvisors would be most welcome.

Thankyou.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico trip from Scottsdale

Its doable but its a long drive from Phoenix. Also if you have a rental car you will not be able to take it across the border (or on dirt roads) without special insurance or a special waver. Talk to your rental car agency first. Border towns are dodgy and charge american dollar prices. You don't get the deals you use to unles you go way into mexico. I know some towns have areas where you can park and walk over. And some where you can get a shuttle but I'm not familiar with that.

They have no reason to resent tourists as we are the ones that bring money into their small towns. Try to learn some basic spanish will help you get some better deals. if you don't speak spanish they will charge you top tourist prices.

Temecula, California
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
533 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico trip from Scottsdale

Wouldn't recommend taking the trip. The areas of Mexico that are closest to Scottsdale are not considered tourist areas. I think you would be disappointed and would have the strong possibility of logistic issues with the rental car, etc.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,635 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico trip from Scottsdale

There is very little to see in northern Mexico for a day trip. Arizona has several border towns, and all are safe, but none have anything of great interest.

Nogales Sonora is directly south of Tucson, and would be a 3-hour drive from Scottsdale. It is the most frequently visited border town from Arizona and has a tourist shopping area within a few blocks of the border crossing. It has no Spanish colonial buildings or anything of historical interest. Nogales is a very large and prosperous business and industrial city and has little of "Old Mexico."

If you just want to say you've been to Mexico, then Nogales is a safe place to go. Browse the shops and have lunch at any of several good restaurants. Expect to pay about the same for food as in the US. Shopping can get you bargains but only if you know what you are shopping for and its value; offer half whatever is asked and bargain from there.

Other than the resort town of Puerto Penasco which is about a 4-hour drive from Scottsdale, there is nothing in easy reach in northern Mexico for a day trip to experience Mexico better than a border town. Also there is the issue of a rental car and insurance, though rental cars can be obtained with Mexican insurance.

If you do go to Nogales, there is a safe parking area at the end of Interstate Highway 19 which costs $5. It is about a 5-block walk from the parking to the tourist area. The people are very friendly, and eager for your money. ;-) Many of the people in stores and restaurants speak English.

To return to the US, you need your passport and the I-94 entry/visitor form which you were given on entry to the US.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,635 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico trip from Scottsdale

P.S. - You don't need Mexican pesos. Dollars are readily accepted at the currect rate of exchange.

Scottish Western...
Level Contributor
80 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico trip from Scottsdale

Wow,

Thanks to all who replied.

I think we will give Northern Mexico a miss, it seems a long way to go and a fair bit of hassel for not a lot at the end of it.

If there had been something special to see it would have been worth it.

I think we will spend the extra days in Sedona perhaps.

Many thanks to all xx

6. Re: Mexico trip from Scottsdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 07:21