We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottsdale ~ April 24 to 27 itinerary advise

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
home sweet home
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Scottsdale ~ April 24 to 27 itinerary advise

We will be in Scottsdale for the first time for my boyfriend's birthday on April 24. We get in early and will be staying at the Hyatt Place Scottsdale/Old Town. We already booked the car rental. Suggestions on our itinerary:

Saturday, April 24

walk around Old Town, maybe lunch at Frank & Lupe's

- any suggestions for good mexican restaurant?

Considering sunset hot air balloon ride as a surprise for my boyfriend's bday. How is Rainbow Ryders Inc.? And then maybe a nice place for dinner ...nothing too expensive since the balloon ride is probably going to cost $180/person. Do you think Roaring Fork would be a fun/good place to go for bday dinner?

Sunday, April 25

Hike? Camelback, Sonoran Preserve Park, Pinnacle Peak Park Trail or McDowell Mtn Ranch? We are not avid hikers so probably nothing too difficult of a hike.

Is Sunday going to be very busy ...should we start early morning?

drive to Cave Creek and Carefree after lunch ...how far from our hotel?

Monday, April 26

drive to Sedona (2 hrs away)

Oak Creek Canyon

Chapel of the Holy Cross

Cathedral Rock

Tuesday, April 27

no plans yet...

one important question... i read somewhere that a GPS doesn't work well in Scottsdale ...is that true??

your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

Edited: 20 March 2010, 05:37
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,635 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scottsdale ~ April 24 to 27 itinerary advise

Mexican restaurant - Los Olivos in downtown Scottsdale, a traditional old favorite and local.

Hike - If you're really not hikers, consider a casual walk instead at the Desert Botanical Garden. The butterfly exhibit will still be on during your stay. Not only is the DBG beautiful and interesting, it has great views.

Roaring Fork is great. It might be a bit expensive.

GPS - I have never had a problem with my GPS anywhere in the Phoenix area, so I think this is an urban myth.

home sweet home
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scottsdale ~ April 24 to 27 itinerary advise

Thanks for the info bobbear43! There are 2 locations for Los Olivos ..does it matter which one is better? Is The Mission in Old Town any good?

We like to go on a hike... would u recommend Pinnacle Peak Park Trail (and lunch at Pinnacle Peak Patio Steakhouse) and McDowell Mtn Ranch?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scottsdale ~ April 24 to 27 itinerary advise

Your GPS should be OK in Scottsdale. We tell folks not to rely on them when you get out of the city though. There are too many obscure fire roads and rough trails that GPS sometimes recognizes and recommends to unknowing drivers. They can take you places that you didn't intend to go to.

home sweet home
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scottsdale ~ April 24 to 27 itinerary advise

thanks RedRox! like your suggestions of my day trip to Sedona. i have read a lot of your posts. plan to leave early Monday morning and drive to Sedona.

do you think visiting Oak Creek Canyon, Chapel of the Holy Cross, Cathedral Rock is plenty to do? any suggestions on places for lunch and maybe we will stay for dinner too. thanks! = )

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scottsdale ~ April 24 to 27 itinerary advise

Your first close-up views of Sedona on SR179 will be Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte. Then you'll see Cathedral Rock too and you'll have great views of both from the Chapel.

Continue on into town. I'd strongly recommend a jeep tour as a 2 hour way to get the most out of a short time in Sedona. Pink Jeep, Broken Arrow is the most popular trail for many good reasons. Have a quick and simple lunch either before or after. Don't fret over it. Focus more on Sedona than food. Then proceed up 89A into Oak Creek Canyon. Allow about 2 hours to drive from Uptown to the top of the head wall and back with a few stops.

Have dinner at the Silver Saddle Room at the Cowboy Club, or Cucina Rustica. (My favorite place, Elote Cafe, will be closed on Monday night)

BTW, I had dinner at Elote Cafe last night and it was sensational as always. Our guests are foodies from Albuquerque and they both agreed that it was like nothing they've ever experienced before and a great choice in Sedona. But they are only open for dinner and only on Tue-Sat.

home sweet home
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scottsdale ~ April 24 to 27 itinerary advise

thanks again RedRox = )

Is Sedona easy to get around? I'm going to note down your directions. Can we actually stop and park near all these sites and walk/hike around? Going to have to skip the jeep tour because they are fairly pricey. Going to spend the money on a hot air balloon ride in Arizona for my bfriend's surprise bday gift, but thanks for the suggestion.

Elote Cafe sounds good but unfortunately Monday is the only day we can go to Sedona as we leave the following day.

home sweet home
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scottsdale ~ April 24 to 27 itinerary advise

more suggestions plssss = )

anyone experienced hot air balloon ride in Scottsdale?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scottsdale ~ April 24 to 27 itinerary advise

Yes Sedona is easy to get around. But it does require some time and you do cover a large area.

I know you're focused on that balloon flight. But check reviews for Pink Jeep Broken Arrow. Many visitors to AZ rate it as the best part of their entire vacation.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31352-d10…

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Scottsdale ~ April 24 to 27 itinerary advise

I would agree that the Broken Arrow tour is well worth it. Much more opportunity for great pictures than aerials. We had a blast, and my son still talks about it a year later. The drivers are very informative and SAFE.

I would also suggest a drive out to Tortillia Flats on the Apache Trail. We also took a trail ride at Saguaro Lake stables, and got some of my best pictures from horseback. My husband and son enjoyed that alot, and they had never been on a horse before. These are both near Scottsdale.

home sweet home
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scottsdale ~ April 24 to 27 itinerary advise

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely look into the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour cus my bfriend might be afraid of heights ..so much for a surprise lol. The tour is only 2 hours. Do you think it's worth it to do the 3 hrs combo "Broken Arrow Tour & Scenic Rim Combo Tour" for $105/person? If we leave Scottsdale early Monday morning and drive to Sedona (2 hrs away), then we can probably join the11 am tour and also have time in the afternoon to see Oak Creek Canyon, Cathedral Rock and Chapel of the Holy Cross etc. Good plan?

can anyone suggestion good/easy hikes in Scottsdale? Pinnacle Peak Park Trail and McDowell Mtn Ranch ...good choices?