We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Coming to the Desert

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Hempstead, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
New York Coming to the Desert

Bringing my very New York parents to come and see Arizona where I am planning on moving to. Not sure what exactly they should see that would sell them on me moving! Need to impress them! (I am moving to be with my boyfriend who lives in scottsdale). Any suggestions?!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Coming to the Desert

My son moved there a couple of years ago. Our first trip to see where he moved was in August and it was real hot.

We had been there before, but aside from doing some projects around his new house, we went to Old Town, the mall, Pinacle Peak, and took a trip to Sedona. Also spent time in downtown Phx.

Perhaps a nice day at the spa would help to impress..Camelback Inn has a real nice one. Dinner at Mastro's City Grill or Roaring Forks might help as well.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Coming to the Desert

www.nps.gov/grca

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Coming to the Desert

Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Arcadia, Cave Creek, and Ahwatukee are all nice areas in the valley. If you have the time to drive two hours north to Sedona, I highly recommend taking the time to do that!

Best of luck!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,853 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Coming to the Desert

The Grand Canyon, Sedona and Flagstaff north of the Phoenix Metro.

In Phoenix/Scottsdale area... Heard Museum, Desert Botanic Gardens, Taliesin West (a Frank Lloyd Wright compound) and if they are into sports...maybe a Diamondbacks baseball game.

Spas, restaurants and shopping. Check on www.visitphoenix.com

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Coming to the Desert

All the beautiful places previously mentioned would impress your parents. Summer might not be the best time to visit unless you want them to constantly complain about the heat. If you want to impress your parents about your move, you should do that showing your maturity, your good relationship with your boyfriend, and your financial resources. Those things will be of the more importance to your parents. Good luck.

Edited: 16 June 2010, 20:23
Phoenix
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Coming to the Desert

Agree with Lovemyacura....quite frankly you can not imppress anyone about Phoenix in the summer!! Temps will be over 110 ...the city is slow to dead as people either go to the west coast or up north toescape the heat. I wonder why I moved here myself July- August -Sept. I would suggest a trip Jan- Feb-March when its cold and miserable in NY. Where as here people are lying poolside at the resorts or March taking in a springtraining game.....If you are happy moving here thats all that matters..save your energy impressing and just enjoy here...however remember its a completely differnt culture...and lifestyle here nothing like the NY area

Edited: 16 June 2010, 22:59
West Hempstead, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Coming to the Desert

Thank You all for your help!! :) Great advice!

8. Re: New York Coming to the Desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 05:17