We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottsdale - worth to make a detour from LV to SD?

Switzerland
Level Contributor
51 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Scottsdale - worth to make a detour from LV to SD?

During September 2010, my family will be in NY (3 nights) and LV (4 nights Palazzo) before heading down to San Diego (4 nights The Grand Del Mar) and spending some more days around Santa Barbara or Santa Monica (number of nights and hotel not yet decided). Do you think it is worth to make a two-night stop after LV at either the Four Seasons or the IC Montelucia in Scottsdale? The additional driving would be around 6 hours which is not a big deal. However, I am curious if Scottsdale is a place worth for a stop. It is not my intention to hurt somebody or being ignorant, I just don't know Scottsdale at all, and therefore, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to stop for two nights. Main consideration for Scottsdale would be (hopefully) sunny wheather, relaxing and perhaps some shopping. Well, just having a good time off from the big cities. Thank you.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scottsdale - worth to make a detour from LV to SD?

Well, Scottsdale makes a great stay but as you said yourself, it's detour. Have you even been to Grand Canyon Nationa Park? It's 5 hours from Las Vegas to the east and one of the wonders in the world. Have you checked out Sedona? www.visitsedona.com app. 2 hours south of Grand Canyon and if you are looking for another place to stay for a couple of days, you also could go to Palm Springs. PS is on your way to San Diego and LA from Las Vegas (more or less..). You'll need a reservation for GCNP www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Tet

Phoenix, Arizona
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scottsdale - worth to make a detour from LV to SD?

If sunny weather, relaxing, and shopping are on your list then yes Scottsdale would be a wise place to stop over at. However you mention having a good time away from the big cities...I would not necessarily consider Scottsdale that type of city. There are places that are not as urban, such as the Pinnacle Peak area that the Four Season is located at...however once you jump on Scottsdale road, the city surfaces, so make sure you understand that it's not a relaxed southwestern city but sunny weather, relaxation, and shopping are definitely part of Scottsdale.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scottsdale - worth to make a detour from LV to SD?

As mentioned, 4 Seasons http://www.fourseasons.com/scottsdale/

would be out a little ways from the city. Another place would be the Boulders Resort http://www.theboulders.com/

Both resorts are close to Cave Creek, a really laid back little western town that has interesting little shops and good restaurants. Also both of these resorts would be close enough to the more urban parts of Scottsdale for you to go in for the day or evening. Both of these resorts have southwestern decor.

Montelucia is certainly another consideration with its location in Paradise Valley and pretty mountain views.

That's a hard call but if you haven't been to the Scottsdale area you'd enjoy your brief visit to any of those resorts. If you don't mind the extra drive, I'd say go for it.

Taliesin West built by Frank Lloyd Wright is a popular tourist attraction in the Scottsdale as well as browsing the shops in old town Scottsdale.

You'll enjoy the Palazzo in LV - we've stayed there and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I hope you choose pretty Santa Barbara over Santa Monica - JMHO

Phoenix
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scottsdale - worth to make a detour from LV to SD?

It will be very hot here still in Sept. 100-107... If Las Vegas is too hot then Scottsdale will be 5-7 degrees hotter..... Scottsdale is best enjoyed mid Oct thru May.... however if serious heat does not bother you then visit ..the hotel rates will be low as it is still slow season here. San Diego ... Santa Barbara are fantastic especially in Sept because all the college crowd and families have all left and the weather is at its best Sept and Oct.. while in SB visit the wine country just north of the city.....

Edited: 01 July 2010, 20:37
USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scottsdale - worth to make a detour from LV to SD?

If it's shopping then between the Las Vegas Strip and La Jolla in San Diego you can find all the very expensive stuff that you could ever want. If you have never been to the Grand Canyon then that would be the obvious stop. Current scientific theory holds that the Grand Canyon is where God dug up the rock and dirt for the Alps.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scottsdale - worth to make a detour from LV to SD?

Scientific theory -lol-

Switzerland
Level Contributor
51 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scottsdale - worth to make a detour from LV to SD?

Thanks a million for all your helpful responses. During our last stay in the States we have been to Grand Canyon (was awesome...), Sedona (stayed in BW Arroyo Roble Hotel, was actually a very nice place and my wife got a beautiful ring up there) and have stayed in Palm Springs for one night which was not the most exciting place I have ever stayed.

Heat is not a problem for us as we have stayed in Abu Dhabi and Dubai during summer time. Actually, we like heat and September is usually the time when the temparatures decrease in Switzerland. Hence, we hope to extend the summer by a few more days.

@Lovemyacura, you're right regarding SB and SM.

@GTBob, looks like you have never been to the Alps :-). GC is definitely one of the world wonders but then the Alps are too IMHO.

Well, it sounds like Scottsdale is definitely worth a detour and it would give us a possibility to stop over at Sedona which we liked so much.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scottsdale - worth to make a detour from LV to SD?

Shortest route is not via Sedona from Las Vegas (take us93 all the way) so that will add traveltime. Agree for the Alps!

9. Re: Scottsdale - worth to make a detour from LV to SD?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 06:16