We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May or September?

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
584 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
May or September?

We love Scottsdale and have always visited in September before as the airfare is normally a bit cheaper then, plus the hotels and all the children have also gone back to school making for a more relaxing holiday. As we will both be retired by next May, my question is which will be the best time to travel - May or September? Will the weather be hotter in May as we usually find the September weather just about right for us although it can be still very hot (to us!) that time of year. We can also visit for longer then our normal 2 weeks but if it's normally very hot in May then it will have to be September once again.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,394 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May or September?

Impossible to predict the weather for sure, but I generally like May better than September. Of course, by Sept I'm also really tired of the heat. But in general, May is a bit cooler than Sept, especially at night, and especially early May.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: May or September?

They would be pretty close and both good choices. If the flight is much cheaper, then I would go with that option!

Here is a link for weather stats:

…world-guides.com/scottsdale_weather.html

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
584 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May or September?

Thanks for both your answers. May does sound tempting but I think the sensible thing to do is wait untill after Christmas and see what sort of deals the airlines are offering now that the taxes on airfares have gone up yet once again! We are happy to fly into either Phx or Lax so it's a case of what ever month works out cheaper. Incidently Desertrosebandb, I looked up your website out of curiousity and found you have a wonderfull home! If we are ever in the area we will pay you a visit as we have stayed in a few American B+b's and have found them a bit too 'twee' for our taste, all frills and knicknaks. Not us at all as we have lots of Victorian and Edwardian houses around here and the decorations are very plain inside, but I digress!

Thanks again!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May or September?

Fares on British Airways, which, as you may be aware, has non-stop service from Heathrow to Phoenix, are generally about the same for both September or May. My wife and I have traveled at both times in recent years. This past year, we flew over and back in April, which is also a good choice for weather here.

Actually this past September, there was no let up in the heat here. It was as bad as August, and that may be becoming a trend.

I would highly recommend either April or May. The kids are in school still, and most of our winter visitors have left meaning hotels, motels and restaurants do not have long, long queues.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: May or September?

It is harder to predict where fare are going than it is to predict the weather! I would say if you can snap up a great fare (and you know what that is), I would suggest you do it.

We have had many guests from the UK stay wih us, they told us that, and also said that it is quite often cheaper to fly into Vegas witch is much closer to AZ than what LAX would be. You seem pretty astute and I am sure you will get the best deal!

Thank you for your compliments, we try to do our best and we are very proud of what we have done. The best thing is that all B&B's are different, although I do not understand your term 'teee'. I have been around plenty of Limeys and have never heard that one, hopefully you are not 'crossed'!

If you are in the area, feel free to give us a call, stop for a visit, we love to talk about what to do in our great region and especially like to do whilst sipping a glass of fantastic Arizona wine!

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
584 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May or September?

Desertrosebandb - the term I used was ' t w e e' which means very very fussy, over the top! To be honest Las Vegas is not one of our favourite places (dare I say that!) although we did consider it for 4 nights only enroute from Lax onto where ever we intend to end up. We spend months researching out places we have never been too that is a maximum of a 4 hour daily drive so who knows where we will go before we chill out in Scottsdale once again.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: May or September?

I will add that to my British dictionary! And yes, many of them are like that and some are extremely expensive, are owner by a person and ran by another which is not the B&B concept IMHO. BUT, there as many difference between each as there are difference between each person who owns them.

I am just suggesting Vegas because you mentioned LAX and driving to Scottsdale. I would just spend one night to rest from your flight and then head of this way...

Happy research, and honestly, I believe that either month would be a good choice and kids are in school during either month, so that is not an issue.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
584 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May or September?

Intend to wait for the airlines deals after Christmas and go for whatever is cheapest, makes sense I think as any flight now will cost us more then we paid last year. We have flown into Lax before and always stay locally overnight wherever we fly into as we are in no condition to drive anywhere once we land due to the time difference.

Thanks everyone for your feed back, it has all been very informative.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May or September?

May without any question little or no humidity. evenings and mornings still nice and recently our May has been quite pleasant...Sept very hot--humid--and still possible the monsoon storms continue.... I can not stand the heat and leave every August for the Cal Coast because of this past Sept. heat I am planning on staying at least till mid Sept next yr... I have become friends there with people from your hometown in England they visit every August as well. :)

Edited: 07 November 2010, 22:59
Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
584 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May or September?

Well, it really seems that May wins hands down every time! This would be a break away from tradition for us as it's usually September when we go over to the States, also I finally retire the first Friday in May - yippee! Our past summer was awfull, June was lovely but July miserable and August it rained all month - what you call the typical British summer! It was great to go away in September and be blasted with heat. I expect if you have the constant heat all the time if you live there it can be very tiring and would make you long for cooler weather. Needless to say it was really cold once again when we landed back at Heathrow the end of September, it was as if we had never been away! We flew into Denver this year as it was a bit cheaper plus it was a change but Arizona will always be our favourite destination.