We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too hot to visit Scottsdale in late May?

Toronto
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Is it too hot to visit Scottsdale in late May?

My husband and I are thinking of visiting Scottsdale in late May and would like to be able to do some hiking. Is it too hot then for that? Should we try to go another time?

Thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it too hot to visit Scottsdale in late May?

What temps do you consider "too hot"? It will be over 100 F by then during the day. I hike in 100+ degree heat, but I've lived here all my life. Most visitors hike in the early morning hours during the hotter months of the year. But I also have a friend from Alaska who spends part of the winter in Arizona, and leaves once it hits 80 - 85 F. That's "crazy hot" to her.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it too hot to visit Scottsdale in late May?

Agree with Hummingbird, early mornings are best time for hiking unless of course we are unseasonably cool for late May. You will not be alone, the trails are open at sunrise and that is about when the cars start pulling into the parking lots, it is extraordinarily beautiful in the desert right about then!

Carrying/drinking plenty of water is absolutely essential hiking in the desert, even if it is cool and the breeze is blowing....we are very dry and it amazing how heated your body can become here - staying hydrated is not a choice for visitors or locals, it is a requirement.

Edited: 02 May 2011, 03:40
Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it too hot to visit Scottsdale in late May?

All depends on your definition of too hot.

weather.com will show you average daily temperatures.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it too hot to visit Scottsdale in late May?

If you are able to drive an hour or two there are lots of higher elevation hikes to pick from.

Some warm weather hikes we like are along creeks with swimming holes and some are to mountains near Prescott and Payson.

Last June we hiked Mingus mountain, around 7700 feet elevation. You would want a good hat and plenty of water.

WINNIPEG
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it too hot to visit Scottsdale in late May?

sure would be interested in any information you have on swimming hole locations you found on your hikes in Arizona! thanks, Lynnie M

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it too hot to visit Scottsdale in late May?

Definitely not too hot, May was the first time I was ever in AZ, highs may reach the low 100's but it's really quite nice unless you are hiking up camelback. Plus you will have a pool at your hotel and northern Arizona is perfect for day trips in May.

7. Re: Is it too hot to visit Scottsdale in late May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:41
Get answers to your questions about Scottsdale