We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JW Marriott Desert Ridge vs Westin Kierland/Family of 4

New York
Level Contributor
490 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
JW Marriott Desert Ridge vs Westin Kierland/Family of 4

We are planning a trip 7/4-7/11 visiting Sedona, Grand Canyon, Prescott, and last two nights considering the JW Marriott Desert Ridge or the Westin Kierland. We are coming in from NY, and traveling with two kids ages 6 and 11. The Desert Ridge has a Family package with free Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner for kids 12 and under, plus a $50 credit to be used each day at the resort for $189/night. The Westin has no specials currently and is around $170 per night. I have points with both Marriott and Starwood, and typically stay at either chain for work and pleasure. I am leaning towards the Desert Ridge because of the package deal. Are both resorts comparable? I also checked the Hyatt Regency, and they did not offer any interesting packages. Thanks for your advice!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JW Marriott Desert Ridge vs Westin Kierland/Family of 4

Yes, both resorts are comparable. They both have large pool areas with lazy river, and several different on-site restaurants to choose from. They're even both fairly close to other restaurants and shopping. The only thing I'm not sure about is the kids' program - I know the Westin has a good kids program, but I'm not sure what the Marriott has. You could call and ask, if you're interested, but it's probably not a deal breaker, as I'm guessing your kids will be happy playing in the pool most of the time, anyway. Based on your package deal, (which is excellent, btw!) and assuming you'll use your meal credits, I'd choose the Marriott. Also, Roy's at the Marriott has an excellent happy hour, with great food and drink specials, and often live music out on the patio. Have a great vacation!

Edited: 07 March 2012, 20:33
New York
Level Contributor
490 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JW Marriott Desert Ridge vs Westin Kierland/Family of 4

Thanks so much for your response. The Marriott does have a Kids club, so it seems like with the package deal, the Marriott offers more value, and is comparable to the Westin in terms of quality.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JW Marriott Desert Ridge vs Westin Kierland/Family of 4

You're welcome! And, good to know about the Kids Club.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
654 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JW Marriott Desert Ridge vs Westin Kierland/Family of 4

Can't go wrong with either, so I would take the package deal. Additionally, Dave and Busters is across the street from the JWM at Desert Ridge Marketplace, for a little indoor kids fun...plus the movie theaters of course, and all the other shops and restaurants there.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JW Marriott Desert Ridge vs Westin Kierland/Family of 4

My one nephew lives in Utah and when he comes home to AZ to visit they always stay at the Dessert Ridge. Their girls are 10 and 6 and they love it there. I love watching them on the lazy river and enjoying a drink. The family usually visits them there as the girls have so much fun and they usually get a similar deal like you mentioned, making it an excellent value. I have not seen any of their rooms - just the restaurants and pool areas, but they are definitely happy repeat guests there.

New York
Level Contributor
490 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JW Marriott Desert Ridge vs Westin Kierland/Family of 4

Thanks so much for your reply. I have a reservation at the Marriott Villas next store, and also have a reservation at the Wigwam, and the Arizona Grand. Still trying to figure out which one to go with. I am a Marriott loyalty member so leaning towards there.

7. Re: JW Marriott Desert Ridge vs Westin Kierland/Family of 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Scottsdale