We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Phoenician v. Cambelback Inn

Houston, TExas
12 posts
Save Topic
The Phoenician v. Cambelback Inn

I am going to Scottsdale the last weekend in April and can't decide between these hotels. We're a group of 3 mid-30s women who want a relaxing vacation. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Phoenician v. Cambelback Inn

Have been to both and both are excellent choices in their own right.

I would however give a slight edge to the Phoenician in terms of overall impact and glitz. Also the pool options at the Phoenician are superior.

I would give the edge to the Camelback Spa.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Phoenician v. Cambelback Inn

I am assuming you are looking for the perfect short weekend of total relaxation. That said, you will want to lie on your chaise lounge and bag rays in the perfect weather as endless perfect Bloody Mary's are brought to you along with perfect poolside sandwiches while you slip into semi-consciousness as you stare at the perfect view. That is called the Camelback Inn.

The Phoenician has all the amenities, but it is a new comer and has a sub-adequate view. If you get a view at all, it will be, for lack of a better term, the camel's butt. As the sun sets, it just gets dark. No subtle movements of shadows and no brilliant colors of the rocks.

At the Camelback Inn you can watch the shadows move and the colors change, and then the big pay off...the sun will set behind the famous "Praying Monk" right in front of you and, if lucky, will shoot "God rays" out from behind it. No comparison. Go with Camelback Inn.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Phoenician v. Cambelback Inn

I'm inclined to agree with Donbacsi; the Camelback Inn is smaller, feels more intimate, and has more of southwestern flavor. The Phoenician feels larger and more glitzy and elegant but not so at one with its surroundings. It definitely has the superior pools (by a long way) but the feel of the place is different; very elegant 5 star hotel, but less like a relaxing resort. It also hosts a lot of conventions (or at least it has been doing every time I've stayed there) which makes it feel like it's overrun with suits and does nothing for the atmosphere. I always try to visit for sunset drinks on the patio (no view of Camelback, but a great view across the valley) but if you want a relaxing, resort break and especially if you want to use the spa, I'd stay at the Camelback Inn.

4. Re: The Phoenician v. Cambelback Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:42
Get answers to your questions about Scottsdale