We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort for trip with toddler?

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
3 posts
Save Topic
Which resort for trip with toddler?

My two-year-old daughter and I will be joining my husband on a business/pleasure trip to Scottsdale in early fall. I have narrowed our hotel choices down to three: Firesky, Westin Kierland, and the Hyatt Regency at Gainey Ranch.

All the hotels are similar in price range so cost isn't a big factor. We're probably going to be spending a good deal of time at the resort so we want something appropriate for an active little girl (big rooms, nice kid-friendly pools and common areas, etc). We will probably be renting a car for any off-site excursions.

We've traveled a lot with her but never to a true "resort." I basically want something really nice with true resort amenities where young kids are welcome.

Opinions, advice, cautionary tales? Thanks!!

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort for trip with toddler?

Think you would enjoy Kierland. It has a good kids program and their pools are very conducive to kids. Not familiar with activities at Firesky but Gainey Ranch Hyatt does not have the kids programs Kierland does, especially for your daughter's age.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort for trip with toddler?

I have found the rooms at the Hyatt to be on the small, dark side. I would agree with Thelrose on the Westin Kierland...they have smores at sunset for families and a bagpiper. It is always full of families when i am there.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort for trip with toddler?

We took our two girls, 10 and 8, and stayed at the Westin Kierland Resort. We absolutely loved the resort. It was so hot and all the girls wanted to do was relax at the resort and swim and play all day in the pools. They have a fabulous lazy river, small slide, and a large pool that includes a sand/beach area leading into the zero depth entry for the toddler set.

You can get around easily on their free shuttles to the neighbouring malls for shopping and dining. We used their service one night to take us to Scottsdale Quarters and had our favourite meal of the trip at Brio. When we were done dinner, the waiter arranged to have a call made to the Westin to come pick us up. We waited a short 10 minutes for our private shuttle! Concierge at the resort also helped make a "reservation" at the Cheesecake factory.

While we were there, the Phoenix Zoo brought 4 animals to give the hotel guests a presentation in one of the ballrooms and the girls got to touch a snake, see an owl and a tortoise and one other animal.

Another favourite was Smores nights (Friday and Saturday evenings). You can have all you can eat smores! They give a long stick with a marsmallow and you go to the fire pit to roast it. Then you bring it back to the counter and they put it between the graham crackers and chocolate for you!The girls loved that experience too. The kids club was fun and the girls also got to do a scavenger hunt. They were given a passbook filled with information about all the restaurants, services etc at the resort. When they went to visit one of these places/acitivites, they got their passbook stamped and then we returned to the Kids center for a pin for their lanyards. This was a great free souvenir.

Our reservation here was for a regular room, but we asked to pay for an upgrade to a suite for that extra room. They eventually found one, on a lower floor in the corner and it had absolutely no view, but we loved the space and extra bathroom. Unfortunately the sofa bed looked terribly uncomfortable for the girls, but they didn't complain at all.

We had a car rental too, and you can park for free at their visitors parking lot. It wasnt that bad of a walk to the front door/lobby. There is a fridge in the room but ours wasn't too cold. The resort is located closely to shopping, groceries, restaurants, and we even found the Costco! I highly recommed this resort for families.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,345 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort for trip with toddler?

Another vote for the Westin Kierland, for all the reasons mentioned above. Do also check out the Waltz and Weitzer Saloon downstairs. Oh, and if you are there when it's still rather hot, (September would qualify as still hot) ask for a North or East facing room, as the sun can get brutal in the afternoons. It's also nice to hear the bagpiper from your balcony.

5. Re: Which resort for trip with toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2013, 10:17