We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenician, Montelucia, or Hyatt Gainey Ranch

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
Phoenician, Montelucia, or Hyatt Gainey Ranch

Hi Everyone!

First post. Thanks in advance for input. Going to a conference at Mayo Hospital in mid january. Late thirties couple, kids staying at home. Looking at that weekend in January - The Phoenician, the Montelucia, and the Hyatt Gainey Ranch are all approximately the same price and are in the running. Other suggestions for some reason are more expensive and out of the running.

What we are doing is a 4 day weekend, 1 1/2 of which will be at Mayo Hospital in Phoenix for a conference. Wife coming too, and she would likely study by the pool (is it too cold in January to do so?), shopping, spa. Would like to hike up Camelback one morning....

Also interested in some tennis. Looks like Montelucia does not have tennis, but not a big deal if other options nearby (? village tennis center). The Phoenician sounds incredible, but options (spa, tennis, restaurants) may be pricy and the Hyatt looks great, but may be kinda generic.

Thanks again!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenician, Montelucia, or Hyatt Gainey Ranch

The Hyatt is a lovely resort, great pools and gardens, not at all generic. BUT, they were working on those pools last i heard, so call and ask the status of construction.

Did you look at the Marriott Camelback Inn? They have tennis for sure and is a short drive to the trailhead to climb the mountain. Does Montelucia have any tennis privileges elsewhere? I would check, it is literally at the base of the mountain. Just north of the Mayo Hospital is the Marriott Desert Ridge, worth checking out as well.

January is our peak season here, rates are highest for rooms and all services, especially at our resorts, so you won't find too many "deals". Those are lovely choices you have, i don't think you will be disappointed with any of them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenician, Montelucia, or Hyatt Gainey Ranch

The Phoenician is a wonderful place. it has the "wow" factor. Only downside is if they have a large convention/conference going on that takes over the place. It's location close to Old Town is also a nice feature.

Montelucia is a sweet place as well. Much smaller than the Phoenician.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenician, Montelucia, or Hyatt Gainey Ranch

There is no wrong choice, but based on your criteria, I'd choose Phoenician or look at Camelback Inn

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
451 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenician, Montelucia, or Hyatt Gainey Ranch

If all three are the same price range I'd choose Phoenician. You are very close to the cholla trailhead of Camelback and their tennis courts (and pool) are great. Service is also top notch. Montelucia and Hyatt are very nice too (I've stayed at all three) but given the choice I'd choose Phoenician.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenician, Montelucia, or Hyatt Gainey Ranch

The Phoenician should be your pick given the choices you mention. Also, if you would like to stay a little closer to the Mayo, you might try The Westin Kierland. Not entirely on par with the Phoenician, but does have the amenities you ask for and is adjacent to two very nice shopping centers (Kierland and Sottsdale Quarter) with lots of restaurant options, and all are walkable.

6. Re: Phoenician, Montelucia, or Hyatt Gainey Ranch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 21:16