We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelocity is cheeper than booking with Hotel. Issue?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
Travelocity is cheeper than booking with Hotel. Issue?

1)Travelocity is cheaper than booking directly with the hotel we are going to stay at. Any reason why I should not go through them and book directly at hotel?

2) Its also cheaper to book rooms with a no cancellation policy. My credit card will cover this if we have to cancel due to sickness. What are people thoughts on this. Just trying to save a little money for other things while we are on vacation

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelocity is cheeper than booking with Hotel. Issue?

Cancellation policy is basically the only difference.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,765 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelocity is cheeper than booking with Hotel. Issue?

I booked a hotel on a trip in Michigan several years ago, using a third party agent like Travelocity. When I had issues with the room and reported it to the hotel desk, they advised me that I should report any issues to the booking agent and that they, the hotel, were not responsible for my satisfaction with the accommodations; only the rate.

It was a lesson learned. Since then I have used third party agents for a variety of bookings. However I do so with extreme caution and the understanding that in exchange for a lower cost I might be sacrificing satisfaction on another level.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelocity is cheeper than booking with Hotel. Issue?

I've booked through Priceline many times and never had any issues. As RR said, however, you do have little or no recourse through the hotel if something goes wrong. I also have booked "deals" many times directly through the hotel and saved almost as much money as booking through Priceline. I do this by signing up for a hotel's email newsletters and loyalty clubs, which often send out non-published specials.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,176 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelocity is cheeper than booking with Hotel. Issue?

Some hotels will have a price match guarantee. Have you called the hotel and asked if they will match the Travelocity price?

Otherwise, Travelocity is a reputable company. Many 3rd party hotel reservations are refundable these days. Is this one not?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelocity is cheeper than booking with Hotel. Issue?

If you are traveling in the summer, most hotels in the area have great rates. Last summer we stayed at the Doubletree in Scottsdale for $99 a night. On top of that we got vouchers for breakfast when we checked in--two breakfasts for two people for each day of our stay, which was a $30 value. That made the effective rate $69 a night--hard to beat for that type of hotel.

We generally book directly with the hotel for the same reasons RR stated above. If you are calling about price matching, you can ask if they can include breakfast at not additional cost, or see if there are any other perks they can throw in that might make a difference to you.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,776 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelocity is cheeper than booking with Hotel. Issue?

Solid advice from RR and hawkeye.

The only addition I can contribute to the difference between booking direct, and using an OTA, is the possibility of the 'bump'. Although it doesn't happen often, overbookings can occur, and should your rate be a heavily discounted rate via an OTA or through a wholesaler, you would be high on the list to be relocated first.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,342 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelocity is cheeper than booking with Hotel. Issue?

Big differences are the cancellation policies, as mentioned, and the fact that you cannot earn points for the hotel rewards program. You can, though, use your existing rewards status to receive the benefits you normally do. For example, at Hilton properties, if you're a Gold or Diamond member, you get free breakfast and free internet at most properties where you get charged for it. If it's booked through a third party, you still get those freebies if you disclose your member information at check in , but you do not earn points on the stay.

I'm surprised to hear Travelocity's transparent (you see the hotel names) booking service had lower prices. My experience has been that they're the same price or even a little higher with fees. Most hotel chains have price guarantees on their web sites.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,776 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelocity is cheeper than booking with Hotel. Issue?

>>>and the fact that you cannot earn points for the hotel rewards program<<<

Whilst that is indeed the case in some scenario's, it's not entirely correct across the board.

Many hotels will honour loyalty points accrual, provided the rate meets or exeeds the 'Qualifying Rate', regardless of where you made the reservation. This effectively involves the guest needing to contact the hotel direct, which is often a good time to make price comparisons, and ask about rate matching and cancellation policies.

As for the rates being lower on Travelcity, it really depends on the date, and whether it was part of a wholesale allotment, or inventory listing by the hotel direct. Wholesale should technically always be cheaper, but very rare they would sell hotel rooms as a stand alone product. If it is inventory listing direct, the rate can fluctuate to hotel's whims at any time - higher or lower.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelocity is cheeper than booking with Hotel. Issue?

"In the beginning," Travelocity was called SuperSAAbre. It belonged to American Airlines. That was early 80's, and we accessed such things through online services like Source, CompuServe and Prodigy. I have been using Travelocity for 30 years. I have never encountered any problems as described. I use it to find hotels in a particular area, but I often book through the hotel chain site. I do book rooms using Travelocity and do at times take advantage of their special rates. I have never had a hotel tell me they're not responsible for my room since I booked through a third party. I have also frequently used Hotwire with no problems.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelocity is cheeper than booking with Hotel. Issue?

I appreciate everyone's help in this. We are going to book at the Hyatt Regency Gainey Ranch in Scottsdale for a week in August. If i book in advanced and pay up front its much cheaper, although no refund if cancelled. But i believe my credit card will cover if cancelled in case of emergency/sickness. Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Scottsdale