We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late August with small kids

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Late August with small kids

My husband and I along with our small children are staying at the Hyatt Resort at Gainey Ranch the last week of August for a week. Small children ages 4yr old and 20 mos.

We were thinking of just hanging around the resort, going out to eat and visiting a few places of interest.

My husband and I LOVE food and try to seek out "foodie" type local restaurants so I'd love some of those options as well. I'm going to try to put my 4yr old in the Hyatt Camp, does anyone have any input on this? Also going to try to find a sitter for the 20 month old (my sister-in-law lives in town and has teacher friends!) so we might be able to get away to go to a couple places without the little ones!

What are some indoor places that the kids will enjoy, keeping in mind I have an extremely active almost 2 yr old boy?

We were thinking of the butterfly museum and the Phoenix Zoo as well as a day trip to see the Grand Canyon.

This is my first time travelling anywhere West of the Mississippi River, so I want to see what I can!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late August with small kids

The Grand Canyon is at least a 4-hour drive one way from Scottsdale. A tour company has offered tours of the Grand Canyon from Scottsdale, but they last 13 hours. Although this August is relatively mild compared to previous years, it would still be a long, hot drive. Not sure you want to do it with the kids. A trip up to the Canyon is best when you have time, and a reservation, for at least an overnight stay. Just about any day trip out of the Phoenix area is at least a 2-hour drive one way.

The butterfly museum is a new venue, but it will be fairly handy to the Hyatt. You might also enjoy the Stillman Railroad Park, an amusement park, just south of the Hyatt on Scottsdale Road. Excursions to outdoor venues are best done in morning to avoid the afternoon heat. All of you might also enjoy the Musical Instrument Museum on Tatum Blvd. in north Phoenix. The exhibits with drums may really appeal to the kids, and it is all indoors and air conditioned.

There are two dining options handy to the Hyatt. The Village Tavern on Scottsdale Road, and Wally's American Pub just to the east on DoubleTree Ranch Road, which becomes Via de Ventura as it goes east to Hayden Road.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late August with small kids

Look at the Arizona Science Center for another indoor venue. It's hands on and they currently have a Sesame Street exhibit about the body.

Foodie restaurants we like - FnB, Citizen's Public House, Binkley's, Beckett's Table. Beautiful view - Orange Skye at Talking Stick Resort, Element's at Sanctuary Resort. Southwest atmosphere and food - Lon's at the Hermosa Inn.

Lots of local restaurants have special summer deals. Go to azcentral.com for a good list.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,493 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late August with small kids

Try to book a room at the GCNP for an overnight stay there. A day trip from Scottsdale is a long day, especially with little ones. At the very least, stay over night at Sedona to include both destinations on a two day venture.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late August with small kids

The Children's Museum in downtown Phx. has extraordinary exhibits and programs especially for children in the 0-5 yr. age range. Your active little ones will love it. http://childrensmuseumofphoenix.org/

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late August with small kids

Second The Children's Museum, my grand kids have loved it, the exhibits appeal to young primary and preschool/toddler age, go at opening time to avoid crowds. Also McCormick Stillman Railroad Park for a train ride, carousel and playground (in that order), it's an exceptional park, again go at opening and stay hydrated. A neighborhood park close to the Hyatt is Rotary Park, turn left as you exit, it's on your left.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late August with small kids

I just thought of one more idea for you. The Butterfly Wonderland recently opened in Scottsdale. http://www.butterflywonderland.com/ It is an amazing indoor rainforest environment featuring the largest butterfly pavilion in America. For added fun, there are live ant colonies and a large bee­hive. They also have a rivers of the Ama­zon aquar­ium. There are about 8 large tanks with dif­fer­ent species of Ama­zon fish and a Morro Stingray touch tank in the mid­dle which was a big hit with my young nephews!

This gives you another fun place to expe­ri­ence ani­mals inside during the hot month of August.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 23:28
7. Re: Late August with small kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 06:18