We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking with 1 year old

Wilmington, Delaware
12 posts
Save Topic
Hiking with 1 year old

We are going to be Scottsdale for Thanksgiving. Please could you recommend a couple of easy hiking trails that we can explore with a 1 year old in Scottsdale/Phoenix? Thanks.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking with 1 year old

Depending where you are staying in Scottsdale you can easily reach the flat, graded paths next to our irrigation canals. You can walk hundreds of miles all over the city on them. They are elevated above the homes and trees so you almost always have excellent views of the valley and the mountains. Best of all there is no need to drive for miles to get to them, and no worries about your car while you are hiking.

2. Re: Hiking with 1 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 November 2013, 15:47
Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking with 1 year old

Hiking along the canal (or any body of water) with a toddler is not recommended for safety reasons I think are obvious to any parent. Take a look at some of the trails in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve, something for everyone there, the Bajada Nature Trail would be the shortest easiest option, but depending if your toddler is walking, strollered or backpacked you could try some others well described here of varying difficulties.

www.mcdowellsonoran.org has very good trail descriptions.

(or www.scottsdaleaz.gov/trails)

Edited: 21 November 2013, 18:17
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking with 1 year old

The safety concerns along the canal are no greater than taking a one year old into the mountains with the drop offs and loose rocky conditions. Much safer on the flat canal paths. Obviously you don't let a child run wild on any path available in AZ.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking with 1 year old

The zoo would be fun for him - they have a nice Children's zoo. There is also a wide walking path along the west side of Papago Park near the zoo.

There are several parks in the east valley that would be good - Kiwanis Park in Tempe, Desert Breeze Park in Chandler come to mind. Maybe someone familiar with Scottsdale would know about similar parks there.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking with 1 year old

There is a special part of the zoo for little kids in addition to being able to see monkey island, etc. There is also a shady path on the east side of the lagoon with picnic tables where you can sit, have a snack and feed all the colorful ducks (they like Trix). The dog park in Scottsdale is kind of unique. They have all the big dogs separated from the little dogs so you can pet them and not feel threatened.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking with 1 year old

There is a greenbelt that runs north and south through Scottsdale along the west side of Hayden Road with paved walkways so you can use a stroller or walker. The southern portion runs through a number of golf courses so you have to be wary of golfers.

The northern portion meanders through McCormick Ranch around lakes and things. You could drive to a parking lot at the south end of Mountain View Park, which is on Mountain View just to the east of Hayden to get on the greenbelt and avoid the golf courses.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking with 1 year old

I would not take a1 year old to a dog park where you did not know the dogs or owners. In fact, little children can bea detriment to others at the park. Today at the Fountain Hills dog park there were over 20 small dogs, mine included. There were two groups of dogs running and playing extensively. A small child Could have easily be knocked over and hurt. A child could also easily be nipped unintentionally. If you are referring to the Horizon park in Scottsdale, I would definitely not take a child there. Safety first.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking with 1 year old

Ditto on that Thelrose, good point.

Also can't believe I didn't mention McCormick Stillman Railroad Park, train ride and carousel, plenty of room to run, I've been taking my grand kids there for years. And if you are a fan of Family Circus, the comic strip, check out the new statue in Bil Keane's memory and the drawings in the ice cream shop.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking with 1 year old

Better still, go to the ice cream shop, The Sugar Bowl, in Old Town and see what inspired the cartoons as you enjoy tasty sandwiches and rich home made ice cream!!!