We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom and Dad Getaway

Louisville, KY
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mom and Dad Getaway

My husband and I are planning a much needed relaxing valentine's weekend trip and leaving the kiddos at home with the grandparents. We have never been to Scottsdale and are trying to figure out the best place to stay. We would prefer a larger resort (spas, restaurants, etc) and my husband will probably golf one day. Not sure if the weather will be warm enough to swim but hoping to find a place with a heated pool so that it could still potentially be an option if warm enough. We would prefer stay somewhere that is not as "family friendly" since we are leaving the kids at home that weekend.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom and Dad Getaway

Look at the Marriott Camelback Inn. While families do stay there, they do not have the fancy water/pool features that other resorts have so a bit more sedate. Spa is world class and the spa pool is adults only, so plan time there. The Sprouts Cafe serves poolside and is excellent. Also look at the Montelucia across the street, maybe Sanctuary as well. Perhaps Royal Palms or The Hermosa, the later two much smaller, but elegant and top notch, again they are not geared to family "fun" so they will be a bit more mellow. Book quickly, we are busy this time of year!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,764 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom and Dad Getaway

I agree with everything AZFan said. The Marriott Camelback Inn does have a really wonderful spa. My favorite for a romantic getaway would probably be the Royal Palms, especially if you're staying on Valentine's Day. Their restaurant T. Cook's offers an excellent Valentine's dinner, and they often have packages for that weekend. The Royal Palms does have a small but beautiful spa. It doesn't have as many amenities as the Camelback Inn spa, but they do have great treatments. You can also always stay at whichever resort best suits you, and just have your spa day at Camelback while your husband golfs.

As for pools, almost all the resorts heat their pools in the winter. It could be in the high 70's/low 80's and great swimming weather, or it could be chilly and raining; Feb is kind of hard to predict.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,807 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mom and Dad Getaway

I would also consider the Arizona Biltmore. High season, but great pampering for Mon and Dad.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mom and Dad Getaway

I would second the Biltmore and also nominated the Phoenician.

While I like many aspects of the Camelback including the great spa, the pool set up is a little lacking and there's some hill climbing walking up and down to main building.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,764 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mom and Dad Getaway

Bob1717 - have you ever stayed anywhere besides the Phoenician or Biltmore? Sorry, just teasing a bit. ;)> I know you love the Phoenician, which is an excellent hotel, but there are also a lot of other great resorts in the Valley, especially for a romantic getaway.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 03:01
Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mom and Dad Getaway

The Biltmore spa is.right next to the pool with the slide and waterfall, so the kids love it, but noisy if you want to lounge before or after. There is a bar and cafe there. The spa I have to say is average, common areas are co-ed and crowded, standing room only while waiting for services. As nice as the Biltmore is, and I love the history and architecture there, they need to renovate and upgrade the spa to compete with others in the valley.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,764 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mom and Dad Getaway

Quote: "As nice as the Biltmore is, and I love the history and architecture there, they need to renovate and upgrade the spa to compete with others in the valley."

I agree completely. A number of years ago they had plans to build a brand new spa, but then the economy turned south, and the plans were put on hold - apparently indefinitely! It's a shame, and would be a great investment.

8. Re: Mom and Dad Getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 17:05
9. Re: Mom and Dad Getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 17:09
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,764 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mom and Dad Getaway

AZFan - just for fun, I called the Biltmore spa to see if they have plans to renovate soon, and the answer is yes. They aren't building a separate facility, but they are doing renovations inside the existing spa, which should be starting in the next few months, probably when it slows for the summer. I'm excited to see what they do! Spa lovers, take note! ;)

Get answers to your questions about Scottsdale