We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do while in Scottsdale

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do while in Scottsdale

We will be in Scottsdale the week of July 6th. I have two girls - 22 and 16. This is a rescheduled trip. We were originally going to Disney World (could not trade our timeshare back into a decent resort in Orlando). Needless to say, my daughters are both complaining that this trip is going to be the pits. Any suggestions for anything that may be somewhat exciting? They both like to shop, we can do a little a shopping but I do not want shopping to be the main focus of our trip. We are staying at the Sheraton Desert Oasis and will be renting a car. Also . . . I know it will be hot, but does it really feel that bad? I know it is not as humid as it is in New Jersey in the summer. Does that really make a difference? Thank you!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,545 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do while in Scottsdale

Yes the trip will be "the pits" ... There is a reason there are seasonal time share vacancies ... Where else, might you arrange a occupancy ? carracar

Phoenix, Az
Level Contributor
468 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do while in Scottsdale

July tends to be hot and humid but it all depends. It could be 107-108 with humidity, which is pretty miserable. However, everything is air conditioned and you can swim. You might take a trip up North to Sedona or the Grand Canyon. It will be cooler and lots of beautiful places. Or take a day trip south to the Kartchner Caverns or Bisbee, which is a delightful little town. A vacation is what you make of it.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do while in Scottsdale

There are a lot of things you can do! I would have your girls look at the websites for the Heard Museum, the Musical Instrument Museum and the Butterfly Museum. Go to the museum early in the day and spend late afternoon at the pool. One day, go shopping at Scottsdale Fashion Fashion Square and then go on a flashlight tour at Desert Botanical Garden (only offered certain days, check the website). Drive out to Saguaro Lake or Canyon Lake and take the boat ride - both are air conditioned. Do bring your sunhats and plan to drink plenty of water and you will have a great time!

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do while in Scottsdale

Already changed the airline tickets, so not doing again with the change fees and such. We will make the best of it. I am planning on enjoying myself no matter what. My kids are convinced they are going to have a miserable time. I keep reminding them of how spoiled they are.

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do while in Scottsdale

Already changed the airline tickets, so not doing again with the change fees and such. We will make the best of it. I am planning on enjoying myself no matter what. My kids are convinced they are going to have a miserable time. I keep reminding them of how spoiled they are.

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do while in Scottsdale

Thanks, all. The museums sound good. We have never visited AZ, so I am looking forward to it!

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do while in Scottsdale

Don't know why that one reply posted twice, sorry!

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do while in Scottsdale

I would skip the butterfly museum. We were very disappointed in it. The cost is high and it's not as advertised.

Take a drive to Tortilla Flat. The ride down is beautiful. You will pass the "Ghost town" of Goldfield, then Canyon lake - which also has a nice boat ride. Then continue on to Tortilla Flat for lunch. I would be shocked if your girls didn't like it. http://www.tortillaflataz.com/

Go to the town of Cave Creek quirky old western town with some shops but lots of restaurants. The Buffalo Chip Saloon has live bull riding Wednesdays and Fridays and live music and Dancing every night. Stop in the Town Dump. The most unusual store you will ever see.

Drive to Old Town Scottsdale. Everyone likes it there and plenty of shops and neat restaurants. All shops and restaurants have AC and lots of misters all around.

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do while in Scottsdale

Thank you! That sounds fun.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do while in Scottsdale

Some other ideas - Pink Jeep tours now offer tours out of Scottsdale, and it looks like some of them are in air-conditioned vans as well as jeeps. You may want to check out what plays will be on in the theaters in downtown Phoenix or if there are any events at the Scottsdale Civic Center. Last, maybe a dinner at the Pinnacle Peak steakhouse or Rustler's Rooste - just corny enough for the girls to enjoy.