We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottsdale Golf Trip

DFW, Texas
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scottsdale Golf Trip

For the last several years we have made golf trips along the East Coast (multiple locations in Florida, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, etc.). This year's trip will be in the beginning of December, 2014 for 5 days/4 nights. We have several lodging options available through Interval (likely Scottsdale Links Resort--unless someone tells me to avoid it).

My question revolves around golf packages/courses. When we have visited other areas we usually play a mix of premium and mid-level courses and spend $300-$400 for the 4-5 rounds, often with a little extra for a replay or two.

Based on what I've found looking online, the prices for golf in Scottsdale are considerably higher (premium courses are $140+ and mid-range courses $80+). Is that an accurate assessment of the area?

I'd prefer not to double our group's golf budget as I will definitely lose some of regular trip attendees. But, I also don't want to travel to Arizona and play muni-quality courses. Can anyone offer guidance/advice on what we should anticipate spending? Or provide recommendations that would stay within our normal budget?

Thanks for any advice!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scottsdale Golf Trip

You pay for what you get. You are coming at the start of peak season. The greens are the best, the fairways are the best, the weather is the best. You will not find any better golfing anywhere in the world in December. There is a reason the Phoenix Open has become the biggest...it is the best. Bite the bullet and go for the good stuff.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,561 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scottsdale Golf Trip

Mid range courses in PHX/Scottsdale will be comparable to some of the best you've played elsewhere. Don't fear them. Splurge once or twice and you'll realize the difference. Book your lodging and then do more shopping and research on available courses. Plenty to choose from and folks here can give you advice and comments on specific courses if you have specific questions.

This could become your permanent destination for many years to come. You won't be the first to get hooked

Waterloo, Iowa
Level Contributor
26 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scottsdale Golf Trip

Ask some pros the difference between Florida golf and Arizona golf, I would bet they say hands down Arizona is the best spot. I have played all over the country and I think Arizona courses, as a whole, are way beyond anything else. Look online at some courses in the area that you like in this area, and make a list of the ones you want. I find that sometimes if you call and tell the assistant pro your situation with your buddies, they will swing you a cart+round+lunch deal. It's worth a shot. If you really want to blow the budget, and have a "bucket list" type of experience, check out the golf bikes or the Scottish Tribute at Kierland!

Edited: 30 July 2014, 02:19
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Scottsdale Golf Trip

Where did you end playing golf on your Dec trip. Looking for a place this week around Scottsdale. Thanks

5. Re: Scottsdale Golf Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2016, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Scottsdale