We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Rock Pass

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Red Rock Pass

I am a little confused on the Red Rock Pass. Are you required to have one to hike or just park? I was under the impression that some of the trailheads are right on the road. Is parking legal on the side of the road?

Staying at the Hilton. Are there any hikes that we can do from the hotel?

Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,922 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Rock Pass

The RR pass is required for parking at all Nat'l Forest access sites around Sedona. If you park it is assumed you will be doing some hiking, whether it's for 10 minutes or 10 hours. If the pass is not displayed you may get a ticket on your car. You will see signs at all of the access areas advising you of the need for the pass. If you plan to be in Sedona for more than a day it's a small investment to make.

Personally I think it's a scam and a form of double taxation, but unfortunately, congress passed the law, and now it's easier to buy the pass and hang it in your car, than to run the risk of a hefty fine.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Rock Pass

The RRP is basically a parking pass. You can park on private property and walk or bike onto the forest at no coast. Some businesses will even let you park in their lot and load you a year pass!

To answer you other question, there are no hiking trails within walking distance from the Hilton.

I diagree with RR about the pass being a scam. Here's why; unlike the National PARKS the National FOREST's do not have much of a budget, if any, to manage recreation. Recreation has boomed on the National Forests. Congress is not likely to pass any bill soon that will give the forests any more money. For many NF's it's not that big of an issue, they have small local populations and once you've educated them that's it. But for the areas that have high tourism or what they call "high impact" NF's they have to educate new people all the time.

So, the NF divisision of the USDA had to come up with another way of dealing with these inequties. This is when they came up with the idea of raising money in the high impact NF's, most of which are in California, through 'use fees." The profits left over after management expenses stays in the local ranger district to offset the "high impacts", i.e. trail erosion, paved parking lots, user education, maps, visitor centers, etc.

If you would have seen the mess that our trialheads were in prior to the RRP you probably would have thought the conditions outragous. I know I did! There was no place to park, the vegetation around the side of the road parking lots was almost non-existant, people camped where ever they wanted including your back yard if your house abutted the National Forest.

Sorry for the long response but it is a difficult situation to grapple with philosophically.

In any case, make sure you stop by one of the visitors centers where you can pick up free maps and learn about the fragil ecosystem here in the high desert!

Louisiana
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Rock Pass

Where do you get a Red Rock Pass? Is it required just in Sedona or would you need one when stoping at any scenic spots in the area such as along the Oak Creek Canyon Road? I am assuming there are stopping points along this road, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Rock Pass

Yes, there are some places you will need the pass in Oak Creek Canyon. You can get a RRPass at the Chamber of Commerce visitor centers or at any Cicle K convenience store.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Rock Pass

There is a Circle K on the right in the Village of Oak Creek when you are entering Sedona on 179. We bought our RR weekly pass for $15 I believe.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Rock Pass

We purchased the national park pass for $80 which can be used instead of the red rock pass. We used it at the trails in Sedona as well as at Tuzigoot, Montezuma's Castle and the Grand Canyon. It pretty much paid for itself by the time we were done and it is good for the year at any National Park in the US so it may come in handy depending on the next vacation.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
936 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Rock Pass

If anyone in your party is 62 or older they may purchase a life time Golden National Parks pass for $10.00 which is good for your entire party in all National Parks and can be used as a Red Rock pass. Just put it on your dash board.

Louisiana
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Rock Pass

Thanks for the information on the National Park Lifetime Pass. I will be traveling with my parents who qualify. I had read about the lifetime pass, but wasn't sure that it covered the entire party. It seemed a waste to buy a pass for them when we would still have to pay a per car fee for the rest of us.

9. Re: Red Rock Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 20:16