We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car required?

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
British Columbia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car required?

We are coming to Sedona for a week June 8 - 15 and am flying into Phoenix will get a rental car there.

Should I rent an SUV or 4 wheel drive to view things, we are not big off roaders. Or will a 2 wheel drive do?

Does anyone have a preferance for car rental agency's?

How hot will it really be....do I need to run from AC car to AC building?

It is my 20th anniversary and am surprising my wife....she thinks we are staying close to home...Grand Forks, B.C. Canada. Is there any suggestions on special things to do?

Thank You all so much

Neil Krog

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,493 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car required?

It will be hot in PHX. Sedona will be much more comfortable. SUV or 4 wheel drive not needed. Check some of the previous posts and links here for things to do. There's a lot and you'll have a great time!

Happy anniversary!

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
936 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car required?

I have always found Enterprise to have the best rates. Sedona will be in the high 80's to 90's. Enjoy Sedona.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car required?

I've been all over Northern Arizona without 4 wheel Drive. My firends wanted to rent a Hummer last time and with the exception of the bottom of Canyon De Chelly the 4 wheel drive was unnecessary.

As for Car rentals I've never found much difference between any of the majors so I go for the best rate using a couple of websites.

If you want to send me a private message then I will be happy to share my strategy with you.

sedona
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car required?

Typically Sedona is 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix thru the day. At night we cool off nicely.

Rent a car at the airport and leave the off the road stuff to one of the jeep companies. My favorite jeep tour is Broken Arrow with Pink Jeeps.(make reservations in advance because it fills up quick). If you want to rent a jeep when you are here there is a local place to do so. Ask the conceirge at your hotel.

A nice restaurant to celebrate is Cucina Rustica, an upscaled Italian...very good food and service. A wonderful place for Sunday Brunch is L'Auberge. Get a table outside by the creek. Be sure to bring your camera because it is beautiful there. Also make reservations in advance so you can have the seating time you want.

Where are you staying? You might want to consider a couples massage too :-)

It has been said that Mother Nature created the Grand Canyon but she lives in Sedona!

5. Re: Car required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 13:18