We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help With Restaurant Selection

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help With Restaurant Selection

My best friend and I are heading to Sedona without our husbands for a long weekend of golf and spa. I've read lots of posts about restaurants and they are literally "all over the map". Can those of you familiar with Sedona make some recommendations for us? Price is not an issue. Most important for us is great food. We like all kinds and are open to anything. Thanks!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help With Restaurant Selection

My favorites:

Cowboy Club (Silver Sadlle Room , if you don't have kids with you). Great steaks, great service.

Dahl & Di Luca -- Great Italian food.

Shugrue's Hillside. Good food, great evening/sunset view from patio.

I'm not a breakfast person, but I'm sure some others can help you with suggestions for that.

Hopefully will get to try some more great places when we spend a week there in September.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help With Restaurant Selection

Try the Javelina Cantina. Good mexican food and great tequila selection.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help With Restaurant Selection

Actually, I was kind of disappointed with Javelina Cantina. All of the food seemed "gringo-ized". Quite bland, compared to food at the many great Mexican restaurants we have all over Arizona. When we got our pre-meal chips and salsa, I had to ask if they had any hotter salsa because what they served was more like tomato sauce.

Arizona
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help With Restaurant Selection

I had 23 years in foodservice from fine dining to catering, and went to the CIA in Hyde Park, NY. For you non-foodies, 'CIA' is 'The Culinary Institute of America', not the other CIA where you go to learn how to string up people with their hands tied behind their backs. Back to topic - The red rocks are inspiring, but cuisine in Sedona is much, much less so. If you are accustomed to NYC/Miami/LA/San Fran type restaurant style and quality prepare for a major letdown in Sedona, but if you're an easy to please visitor you'll be ok with Sedona food offerings. Others have mentioned a few restaurants that sure don't merit an endorsement from me, except to say that I concur - the Cowboy Club Silver Saddle Room is nice. If I had to pick the best of the lot, I'd say try Heartline Cafe for a decent meal (just don't expect to be wowed) in an atmosphere conducive to dining. Takashi on Jordan Road has the nicest setting of all if you have a yin for sushi and other Japanese dishes, and the owners are from the southern California area , so they know a thing or two about how to run a restaurant. If you can't delay your pizza crave till you get back home, head to 'Famous' Pizza in the Village of Oak Creek for a pie, or 'Slice of Heaven' has good ones too. Someone's bound to tell you that 'Picazzo's has the best pizza - don't believe it, the salads are dressed wrong, there is a heavy-handedness to many of the dishes that make it to your table..but, this a good second rate California Pizza Kitchen type place with a nice decor and atmosphere - just accept you aren't back in California where Picazzo's would improve their food or be out competed by better restaurants. For affordable lunch fare, a chain outfit called 'Wildflower Bread Company' in the Hilton complex is a winner with good soups, sandwiches & other dishes, and the surroundings are stylish and conducive to eating at their tables rather than getting your items 'to go'. My experiences with some of the resort place cuisine is not going to rate high based on what is on the plate for the $$$. Sedona really is about the nice views, don't expect inspiration from the food.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help With Restaurant Selection

Brian,

I have had food in L.A., ...and in NYC,....and in Chicago. And I really do not care at all for pretentious restaurants, just restaurants with good food. And I must say, that I find L.A. restaurants, for the most part, to be very pretentious with mediocre food. Great presentation does NOT overcome poor food or service.

I''m really not sure WHY you decided to use your one and only post to diss the restaurants in Sedona.

For anyone else viewing this thread, please disregard Brian's post. He is so obviously someone who has just perused the Sedona posts and, for who knows why, decided to dedicate his only post to badmouthing Sedona restaurants. There are some very fine restaurants in and around Sedona

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help With Restaurant Selection

Ok, as a local who has been a cook:

Heartline Cafe: Trout and vegetarian or mixed cuisine.

Shugures: Ahi Tuni

Walt's Southwest Cuisine: They don't get a lot of traffic but real southwest.

Garland's Lodge: Pice Fixe (sp) if you can get in you can't beat the ambiance and food.

D'Lish; Vegetarian: very good but not like big cities.

Cowboy Cub is consistant, interesting menu, great steaks, and bizar fair. Great location in uptown.

Pizza is something I would avoid in Sedona. I don't think there anything good to be had.

India Palace is a real suprise for traditional Indian Food.

Just a few thoughts........

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help With Restaurant Selection

Dolode and friends, i always enjoy taking my girlfriends to Tlaquepaque shopping plaza and dining at either Rene's or El Rincon. Both have been good choices, very good food and service. The shopping at Tlaque is touristy, but definitely a cut above what you find in town. Some of the store owners import from Mexico and South America, so you can get some authentic items without leaving the country. The galleries there are welcoming to visitors as well.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,110 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help With Restaurant Selection

Gotta agree with MikePinTucson and Sedona MTB in ALL of the posts above. We also like Cucina Rustica (sister to Dahl & Diluca) and we're anxiously awaiting the Cowboy Clubs' new restaurant in the old El Rincan location, The Barking Frog. It's supposed to open sometime in July.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help With Restaurant Selection

I will be looking forward to that. You'll have to let me know how it is, since we are going back to Sedona in September

Arizona
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help With Restaurant Selection

"I''m really not sure WHY you decided to use your one and only post to diss the restaurants in Sedona."

No ax to grind, this is how I honestly feel.

"..I must say, that I find L.A. restaurants, for the most part, to be very pretentious with mediocre food. "

Pretentious LA restaurants? Sometimes. Mediocre food? Most often definitely not. You are not a foodie sir. There is more to dining than filling your belly.

SedonaMTB, I have an Ellsworth Truth MTB. I love Sedona trails. Support VVCC efforts toward making bicycling better - if you're not already. Your comment about restaurant choices is interesting, and while I disagree on several you mentioned, I agree with your choice of 'Garland's'. I didn't mention it because I only stayed and ate there once (I like to try a place at least three times before I comment on it, because consistency in the restaurant business is difficult), and because Oak Creek Canyon didn't come to mind in a Sedona restaurant forum (I know I mentioned VOC, but most Sedona people consider VOC part of Sedona and going past the 'Y' part of life in Sedona). Even although we would disagree on several of your selections, your post was more than fair. Keep biking, and don't buy into that fellow saying LA restaurants have mediocre food. I go there often & it just ain't so - great selections, good food.