We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Javelina Cantina

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Javelina Cantina

Will be in Sedona next week! I can hardly wait. Would like to enjoy some southwest/mexican food while in Sedona. I saw an advertisement for Javelina Cantina.... anyone have an opinion? Or any other suggestions?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,418 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Javelina Cantina

Javelina Cantina is the biggest rstaurant that specializes in mass marketing mexican food and beverages. The quality of the food is mediocre in my opinion.

The best mexican food in Sedona by far is at Elote Cafe. Don't expect tacos and burritos. This is fine mexican food.

For the most authentic mexican food at budget prices, we like to go to Su Casa in Clarkdale. It's about a half hour drive, but well worth it. It's a great place to stop on the way to or from Jerome, although when in Jerome we have other favorite places to dine (non mexican).

And finally, you can find a fabulous array of excellent southwestern restaurants in Sedona that offer menu choices with a mexican flare without being traditional mexican eateries. Try Barking Frog Grille, the Cowboy Club and Walt's Southwest.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Javelina Cantina

I completely agree with RedRox about Javelina Cantina. We ate there --- once, and once only. Being used to great Mexican food in Tucson, Javelina Cantina was a huge disappointment. The food has been almost totally "gringo-ized" For instance, the salsa they serve with the chips when you arrive tastes like tomato sauce. We had to ask if they had anything spicier, then they brought a salsa that was still very mild.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Javelina Cantina

I agree about Javelina Cantina. I haven't been to the Elote Cafe yet, but a group of us went to Su Casa for lunch and enjoyed their buffet. Servers are pleasant, and the food is authentic. I only regret it took so long to find it. We had been driving to Flagstaff (Salsa Brava) for Mexican food.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Javelina Cantina

They do make an authentic Waborita !

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Javelina Cantina

Just back...

so I will bump this up.

We tried the Javalina Cantina. And, I agree... It was okay, but not really anything truly to write home about!

I personally did NOT care for the salsa... And, that is a big part of dining at a restaruant like this. Instead of a wonderful fresh flavorful blend of tomatoes peppers onions seasonings, etc... It was like tomato sauce with some strange spice (coriander????) I did not like it, at all.

My husband got a chicken chimi, it was HUGE.. And, it was good.. But again, not anything to write home about.

I ordered the open-faced shrimp quesidilla.. like a pizza. It was good, but not outstanding..

My son got a childrens cheese enchilada plate. It was really good for a kids plate.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,418 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Javelina Cantina

As long as the thread has been bumped...

We have been enjoying Elote Cafe on a regular basis for the past few months now. It is consistently excellent. The entree portion of the menu only has 6 dishes, but they are all great. And I have made a meal out of appetizers including the quesa fundido and corn chowder on more than one occasion.

I have had more 'thank you's from diners who have gone to Elote Cafe on my recommendation than any other place in Sedona, with the exception of the Silver Saddle Room at the Cowboy Club. If you have just two dinners in Sedona, those are the two to do. Then go to Cucina Rustica for the third.

Rancho Palos Verdes
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Javelina Cantina

So does Cafe Elote have any food for kids? This is one of the restaurants I was interested in trying, but we've got a 6 year old and 9 year old. The 9 year old is open to most anything, but the 6 year old is somewhat picky.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,418 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Javelina Cantina

The menu at Elote is not a kids menu. It is a more sophisticated mexican menu. However, your young ones could probably be happy with something from the appetizer section like the corn chowder. But don't expect a hot dog or mac and cheese or any of the typical kid junk.

9. Re: Javelina Cantina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 15:21