We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prettiest drive from Sedona to the GC

Tennessee
Level Contributor
410 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Prettiest drive from Sedona to the GC

It has been 40 years since I visited Sedona. Back then there were no inter-state highways. I remember, like it was yesterday, the drive from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon, however, I'm not sure if we went to the South or East Rim. I do remember it being the most beautiful drive I had ever been on. The mountains were so beautiful. Could this have been leaving Flagstaff and continuing up Hwy. 89 and on to the East Rim? I cannot remember. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prettiest drive from Sedona to the GC

It sounds like it was the drive up 89A on the switch backs to Flagstaff then 180 from Flagstaff to GC S rim.

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Tennessee
Level Contributor
410 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prettiest drive from Sedona to the GC

Thanks, dragonflylady. I wondered if that was it. I know that we did go see the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest, but I cannot remember if we went there first or not. Forty years ago was a long time. I was 16 y.o. That drive is, thankfully, one of the few things that I've never forgotten from that long ago. We're coming out that way in April 2009 for our 30th anniversary and I was hoping to find that drive. My husband has never been out there. We've already made our reservations at the Bright Angel and at Forest Houses in Sedona.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,608 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prettiest drive from Sedona to the GC

You probably drove up 180 from Flag to the main gate at Tusayan. No question that you went to the South Rim vs the North Rim, but you probably toured aong the east segment of the South Rim while you were inside the park, going out to Desert View where the east gate is located.

Mentioned in this post
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
Tennessee
Level Contributor
410 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prettiest drive from Sedona to the GC

Thanks, RedRox. I believe that you are correct. We went during the summertime, but I don't think that went to the North Rim, because we drove on to Las Vegas once we left the GC.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Prettiest drive from Sedona to the GC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 19:21