We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cucina Rustica

Jonkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Cucina Rustica

I´ve asked about this before, but things have changed since then...

The B&B we were going to stay at cancelled our reservation a month ago or so, when I wanted to give them my new credit card number (the old one was lost). Strange behaviour I think... So, now we are staying on Canyon Villa Inn in Village of Oak Creek instead and therefor considering Cucina Rustica for wedding dinner. Bad or good choice...?

With a 9.00 reservation at CR in the middle of june, would you choose patio or inside dining? Which is most romantic? Is smoking permitted on patio? We prefer dining without smoke in the air...

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cucina Rustica

Congratulations on your marriage. I believe Cucina Rustica would be a very nice location for a wedding dinner, and I love their food. My husband thinks it is noisy when crowded, so ask about a private room. I would probably choose indoors because of the ambiance and air conditioning.

Please clarify what you mean by a 9.00 reservation

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,560 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cucina Rustica

Cucina Rustica is one of our favorites in Sedona. They catered our son's wedding in our back yard. The food is outstanding. All restaurants in AZ are non smoking, indoors and out. But as mentioned above I would request one of their private rooms depending on the size of your party. If you don't intend to arrive until 9PM you can expect the restaurant to be close to empty by the time you eat anyway. That would be rather late for dinner in Sedona. But for your special occasion, that should be fine. But I certainly wouldn't be concerned about noise. Around here we refer to 9PM as 'Sedona midnight'. Most of the town will be in bed and asleep by then.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cucina Rustica

Sorry about your B&B cancellation - that IS a bit weird. May I ask which B&B it was? My husband and I have stayed at The Inn on Oak Creek for special occasions, and we love it there! Just FYI, anyway, if you ever return to Sedona...

Cucina Rustica is wonderful, and I agree that 9:00 PM should be very quiet there. In fact, I would almost put the reservation back a half hour or so, to 8:30 maybe. In general, sometimes late dinner reservations don't get the service they should, b/c the staff seems more interested in doing their side work and leaving, than in providing good service. That doesn't necessarily apply to Cucina Rustica, though; I haven't been there late in the evening. I just have noticed this trend in many restaurants recently (both in Phx, and in Sedona), and it's disappointing. As for patio or inside - we prefer patio dining, and it shouldn't be too warm late at night in June.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cucina Rustica

Correction on patio or inside - forgot about the private dining rooms; I was thinking of a romantic dinner for two, but if you have a group for a wedding dinner, then yes, a private room would be more appropriate.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cucina Rustica

I would look to someplace other than CR for your reception. We have hired them many times (personaly and for organizations), and the results other the one time was aweful.

If you want to be in the Village of Oak Creek talk to the Hilton. They have a great outdoor space with full services under a tent and by the pool. Wonderful!

In the city of Sedona

More elegant, talk to Redstone Cabin (Cowboy Club), Barking Frog, and others.

Sincerly

Jonkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cucina Rustica

A little bit to less information for you guys - sorry...;) Thank you all for respondning while I was asleep, though!

We know it´s late for dinner, but we want to enjoy the outdoors during sunset. We don´t know where we end up at sunset, and we don´t want to feel stressed to get to the restaurant in time. That´s why we want a "midnight" reservation..;) But maybe put it back half an hour, yes.

This is an elopement, it will be just the two of us, maybe four if the photographer join us. We don´t need a private room then, do we? Does SedonaMTB still think CR is a bad choice?

We are no "fine dining kind of people" usually, so I guess the service we will get late in the evening will be enough? We just don´t have that high expetations...;)

Before this accomodation alternation we thought about dinner at Barking Frog or Redstone Cabin, as mentioned. But I understood that Cucina Rustica stays open longer, and we can have wine, a drink and a walk back to our B&B (and another drink by the pool under the stars..;). I also read that cabs are quite rare in Sedona. Am I right?

Redrox - I´m glad to hear about the non smoking policy! And have understood that you like Cucina Rustica...;)

And for Hummingbird - Thank you for suggesting The Inn on Oak Creek. We have looked into that one too, but got three nights on Canyon Villa (with views and pool) and three at Canyon Wren cabins, which we thought was a nice mix of accomodation styles. But as you said, I hope we will get back to Sedona for a future anniversary!

The B&B that cancelled us was Sedona Cathedral Hideaway. The owner was supposed to perform the ceremony too, so it was a big disappointment for us. I got really sad, and angry too, cos I really tried to explain for her why I got a new card number and how I wanted to send her that in a secure way, but she just kept blaming me and telling me that I refused to do as she said. I felt SO stupid not understanding what I did wrong. The owners was also a bit unflexible in their thoughts and supposed that you wanted things a certain way. They seemed a bit old fashioned and diffiicult to communicate with. When we said we were going to Flagstaff she wrote "don´t waste your time in Flagstaff, it´s ugly". I´d like to go there and find out myself, thank you.

Having that said I still think SCH seems wonderful, and it would have been perfect for us for this occasion. We will never stay there, but as long as you don´t loose your credit card, I don´t think you will run into problems.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
937 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cucina Rustica

CR has a very small romantic room in the back. It only has around 4 or 5 tables. I Think (but not sure is called the angel room). It has a window to the back Patio. This is where my husband and I like to eat.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,560 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cucina Rustica

Thanks for the clarification. Since your party is indeed a small one, you could sit anywhere. Just decide about indoors or out. As for being outdoors at sunset, we enjoy the patio at CR. Remember, in Sedona sunset is not about being able to see the sun as it disappears into the western horizon. It's more about what the sunlight does to the landscape on the ground, mostly to the east.

Walking to CR from Canyon Villas is doable, but to be honest, it's not a very romantic stroll. You'll be walking along new, and some unfinished sidewalks along the newly completed section of highway 179 through the Village of Oakcreek. It's about a mile each way. Downhill on your way to dinner, and of course, uphill on the return. I'd drive.

Jonkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cucina Rustica

Thank you for answering!

Redrox, the distance is no problem, but maybe not a romatic stroll, as you said. I didn´t thought about that. We´ll skip that walk and ride with our photographer...;)

10. Re: Cucina Rustica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 01:19