We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last day TR--Finally

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Last day TR--Finally

Awoke on Friday am around 5:30. Coffee machine in the room was not working. Not a good start. Got dressed, grabbed flashlight and took off on a coffee quest. Found it in the coffee shop in Bright Angel. After spending $5 for 2 cups of coffee, got back to the cabin where my wife was drinking coffee--she had somehow gotten the brewer to work. We proceeded to get ready for our South Kaibab hike, and got to the shuttle stop around 6:30ish. I knew the hikers express ran on the hour, so we'd have to take the regular shuttle and switch busses at the information plaza. We began our hike around 7:15.

We were only going to ooh-aah point, about a mile down. While it's posted there are no signs when you reach the point, it is obvious when you do. The hike down was uneventful. We took our time taking several pictures and moving out of the way for faster hikers. There were even 4 people I'd guess in their early 20's running down the trail. What idiots--it would be so easy to turn an ankle--or worse. Anyway, reached ooh-aah point. What a view. It was totally worth it. When you're above the rim, you can see the magnificance of the canyon. When down in it--even if only a short way, well, I describe it as feeling it's power. Gives you a totally different perspective. Stayed there about 15 minutes taking pictures. Then, back up.

I wouldn't characterize this as a strenuous undertaking, but for us it wasn't necessarily easy. Many experienced hikers would think nothing of it, but we could feel the effects of the altitude, taking several rest stops on the way. Total hike down was about 1/2 hour, so I figured on an hour out. Took only 45 minutes. Glad when we reached the top, we walked to the parking lot, where the shuttle was just pulling up. Perfect timing. It was a great experience.

Switched busses and decided to see Yavapai Point, since we had't been there yet. Started browsing all the info on the canyon, but reralized it now was pushing 10am and we had to get back to check out. Got cleaned up and checked out by 11. We then drove to the market deli to get something to eat, since we had only had trail mix and water. Pretty hungry at this point, we decided to forgo our planned picnic going out the east rim drive, and found a picnic table and ate right then. Then drove back to Yavapai and finished reading about the canyon.

It was now noon and time to start towards Desert View. Couldn't believe the cars at Mather point. Don't know if it was because it was later in the day or beecause it was Friday, but they were lined along the road (both sides)for 3/4 to a mile from Mather point. I'd suggest an early arrival to the park if you want to visit Mather. Anyway, it took us almost 4 hours to drive the east rim, stopping at all the vantage points. It was beautiful. We still can't decide if we had a favorite point--the were all good.

Arrivedd at Deset View and went up the tower. It had started to sprinkle a bit, and when we got to the top, there was a rainbow. We actually were looking down on the rainbow. What an incredible way to remember your last look at the canyon. On to Cameron. We were not hungry, but stopped to see what was there. Nice gift shop, but not someplace that I'd go out of my way to visit. Fine if it fits into your plans though.

Last decision--do we stop at Wupatki and Sunset Crater or just get to Phoenix. I made the call as my wife said it was up to me. Quite tired and knowing we had 3 more hours to drive, I passed. Sorry we missed it, but have decided that next Sedona trip, we'll do a Flagstaff/Museum of Northern Arizona/Wupatki day. Arrived in Phoenix, ate dinner, crashed for the night and flew home the next day.

Overall, it was our best vacation ever. Never have I been so exhausted yet relaxed at the same time. We had no "pool time" or relaxing an reading--we were on the go constantly. It was so refreshing and relaxing that we have decided we're going back. In fact, we've already started to try and figure just how soon we can make that happen. John (Stlcardfan)

Mentioned in this post
Museum of Northern Arizona
Museum of Northern...
468 Reviews
Flagstaff, AZ
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Tennessee
Level Contributor
410 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last day TR--Finally

Hi John,

I've really enjoyed reading your trip reports and I have been able to make some adjustments in our itinerary reading your TR's.

I'm glad that you had such a wonderful time, and I do hope that you can go back to Sedona soon. I have a feeling that we will want to do the same.

Dianne

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last day TR--Finally

Like so many of us you're hooked John. Even after 12 visits we are planning to come back...and back. Arizona and the West never bore and you'll always find new places to explore. Museum of Northern AZ, Wupatki, Sunset Crater Volcano, Walnut etc etc. are waiting for you next time. Thanks for the great writing.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last day TR--Finally

What a great collection of TR's! Enjoyed reading all of them. A wonderful place to return to, as we too, hope to do so someday.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last day TR--Finally

We're supposed to go to Ft Meyers, Fl this coming Feb. and go with my sister & brother-in-law (they live there) to the Keys. Never been and have always wanted to visit the Keys. We're trying to figure our if we can wiggle our way out of that and go back to Sedona. Yep---we're hooked.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,464 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last day TR--Finally

Great report John. And yes, there's plenty more here to bring you back.

MrsRedPony's cousin from FL is here right now visiting for the first time. She's a nut case. Totally wacko and overly hyper. I'm not saying anything behind her back. She knows that about herself. But after two days here she said, 'I feel like I took a valium. What's going on?' She's trying to figure out how to bottle a vortex and take it home with her.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,464 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last day TR--Finally

And about that trip to FL. When it's cold this winter you'll be glad to be able to take a break and head for the warmer climate. And I can tell you that if you liked Sedona, you'll probably enjoy the laid back environment at Key West. Before we found Sedona, we used to vacation in Key West for at least a week every year. We still love it there. So go and experience it, and then you'll have the basis for comparison. And I know that you'll be working for the goal of returning to Sedona again when ever that can happen.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,830 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last day TR--Finally

I just finished reading all your TR and I loved it! We too loved Sedona, but we didn't do any of the hikes that I would have liked to. Everyone was pretty much done by then and didn't want to move! Guess I'll just have to go back! Should have met up with RedRox and Mrs. you would've enjoy it!!

I'm glad you got the opportunity to hike a ways down into the Canyon on South Kaibab Trail. The views are amazing!

Key West? Take the time and go enjoy it. It is so competley different then any vacation we've ever taken. I can hit Duval Street and find a different margarita every time!! We've supposed to be there in May, but I don't know if it's going to happen!

Thanks for taking the time to write up your TR. I enjoyed it very much.

SJG

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
8. Re: Last day TR--Finally

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 23:18