We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

horseback riding in sedona

fairfax station va
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
horseback riding in sedona

We will be staying in sedona for a week the first week in november. We have planned out most of our week doing hikes in sedona as well as grand canyon. We were wondering if anyone knows of a good place to go horseback riding, or would it even be recommended to go in sedona.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
112 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: horseback riding in sedona

The same topic was discussed last week and can be found at this link: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g31352-i168-k19956…

Hope this helps!

Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: horseback riding in sedona

Hi there!

My family and I had a good experience with this company three years ago. It was not on the Redrocks, but it was still scenic and lots of fun!

My son and I have a little experience with horseriding, but my husband is a true novice. He did just fine though. Most of it was walking, but sometimes the horses trotted especially up a hill. (My hubby's backside got quite a bumping 'cause he didn't know to use his thigh muscles! LOL!) and my son sometimes held back and snuck in a brief gallop! :-)

We took the ride that had us go through the stream and that was cool, they even took a picture that we got at the end. Anyway, we enjoyed it!

Good luck!

fairfax station va
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: horseback riding in sedona

Thanks so much for the input. I will look into those websites.

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: horseback riding in sedona

Just be aware that none of the horse tours are in Sedona. They pick you up and drive you down to Cottonwood which is nothing like Sedona. All tours in this area are what is called "nose to tail." In other words your are behind another horse walking nose to tail, no trotting, galluping, or riding on your own. The guide tells you nothing except about safety on the ride. This is why all tour operators combine your tour with a cowboy cookout or reinactment of some sort which is not historically correct.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: horseback riding in sedona

Gosh SedonaMTB, don't get so excited about it now! ;)>

Wheezer, I'm sure you'll have a good time. We used to trail ride in and around Cottonwood/Verde River a lot, and there are some very pretty trails there. Also, part of the reason most of those trail riding companies don't let you go off on your own or gallop is that most people are VERY novice riders. Every single time I have ever seen rented trail rides letting people trot around or gallop on their own, someone falls off or loses control of their horse. Not a good experience. I have horses, and personally I think it's better for everyone involved (including the horses!) to have a safe and relaxed experience.

On the other hand, if you really want to learn how to trot, canter, and gallop, just go take a riding lesson somewhere. I can recommend a couple of good stables up there, if that's what you are looking for. Sounds like what you really want is just a nice trail ride, though.

Have a great time!

6. Re: horseback riding in sedona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 04:19
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor