We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona to Palm Springs driving route

AURORA
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona to Palm Springs driving route

Can anyone suggest the best route for family (kids 9 & 10) to take from Sedona to Palm Springs in March (after 7 days St. George, Zion, Page, GC, Sedona)?

a) Fastest is 17 south to 10 west but seems uneventful and boring...

b) Would Cottonwood to Prescott, passing west of Wickenburg down to Hwy 10 be more scenic?

c) Or we'd really like to experience Route 66 along Seligman, Kingman, Oatman (via Sitgreeves Pass) and down through Joshua Tree - but not sure if there is enough to see to make it worth the extra 2-3 hours. And we can always see Joshua one day while in PS for a week.

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Wickenburg
Wickenburg
Central Arizona, AZ
Kingman
Kingman
Arizona
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona to Palm Springs driving route

Hi Skinns. OK...this is a GREAT trip for your family!! Zion/Bryce area is our family's ALL time favorite NP:) We really can't get enough of Zion!

a) from Sedona...you're going to do alot of desert driving, regardless the route you take. I'd see how the family feels after the long drive from GC to Sedona; north rim to Sedona feels long and lots of flat desert or reservation driving. I-17 is actually quite beautiful, especially in the spring, with huge desert mesas and some great desert mountain climbs. You'll get a little taste of it from Flag to Sedona. The LONG part is I-10 west (Phx to PS), but it's flat and 75 mph.

b) Prescott/Jerome is a wonderful 'old west' town to drive thru, lots of history, an old town square and some fun cowboy shops and restaurants. I drive thru Wickenburg a few times a year and have been slowed down by roadwork and springbreak traffic in March (the best route to Vegas from Phx area is via Wickenburg) I'd bypass Wickenburg during the weekend.

c) LOVE Route 66 AND Joshua Tree, but definitely a long route and not many places to stop to get gas/food. My kids are only 6&7, so we've only done that route once with the kids...but my husband and I really enjoy it! And yes you'll see some of J Tree once you're closer to PS

I hope this helps, please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. I am hopelessly in love with AZ and southern Utah!! hjclimber

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Wickenburg
Wickenburg
Central Arizona, AZ
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Utah
Utah
United States
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,790 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona to Palm Springs driving route

We do the drive every year and take the interstate route. (I-17 to 101 to I-10 west to PS). It's the most direct, and since we find it boring no matter how we do it, we focus on the destination. Going up across I-40 and down through Joshua Tree is more scenic, but we've been there before, and as you know, it adds a lot of time and miles. Going through Prescott is totally out of the question for us. We have taken the Wickenburg route a couple of times to avoid construction and rush hour delays on I-10 west of PHX. But over all, we try to stick to the highways.

Mentioned in this post
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Wickenburg
Wickenburg
Central Arizona, AZ
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona to Palm Springs driving route

Well, I don't think OP is coming from north rim, because north rim will be closed in march. And SKinns is right, you'll bypassing Wickenburg driving via Prescott. Also, it's 75 mph in Az and 70 mph in Ca. on I10. Only details though.

By far the fastest route is via west of Phoenix via I17 and I10. Is there a "best" route? Depends and you already answered you own question. Sitgreaves pass and Oatman certainly are worth a visit and the kids would like Oatman and its history and they will like Seligman, it's relics and funny foodplaces and also Hackberry if you take the R66 stretch Seligman-Kingman. Into California you can take National Trails hw (old R66) from Needles to Amboy and Amboy road to Twentynine Palms with its murals and even maybe stay the night there. Then next day visit Joshua Tree NP and drive to Palm Springs (and make a short sidetrip to Pioneer Town off ca62). For the drive via Jerome and Prescott. First part is very scenic but it takes time and you will want to stop in Jerome and Prescott, so it all depends on how much time you will take for the drive. With another week in PS and old R66 so close, that would be my pick but prepare to make it a 1.5 days drive. There's lodging in Needles and in Twentynine Palms but nothing in between. Your fastest drive Sedona-Palm Springs will be some 6 hours. Probably the kids have seen the movie "Cars" and after the glorieus red rocks in Sedona, they'll see the cars in Seligman and Hackberry and the old (not that old though!) mining town of Oatman, not to mention Roy's Cafe in Amboy, also a real R66 relic!

Before I forget, welcome to the forum Hjclimber and keep on posting. We all share your love for Az and Ut.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Wickenburg
Wickenburg
Central Arizona, AZ
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sitgreaves Pass
Sitgreaves Pass
318 Reviews
Oatman, AZ
Kingman
Kingman
Arizona
California
California
United States
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona to Palm Springs driving route

Nobrainer here....Take Tets excellent advice (RT66)

5. Re: Sedona to Palm Springs driving route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 00:16