We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona Hiking - So many hikes, so little time !

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
Save Topic
Sedona Hiking - So many hikes, so little time !

DH and I will be in Sedona for 3 days over Christmas and hoping to do quite a bit of hiking, but I am having trouble deciding which ones to do.

I have narrowed it down to the following, but I realise that we won't be able to fit all of them in, so I would appreciate recommendations for your top 3 or 4. Thanks.

Broken Arrow

Secret Canyon

Boynton Canyon

Fay Canyon

Courthouse Butte

Crescent Moon Creek Walk

Devils Bridge

Red Rock Loop

Cathedral Rock

Bell Rock Trail

Doe Mountain

We also want to visit Palatki too. We have already done a Pink Jeep tour on a previous visit, so don't plan on doing another this trip.

Thanks again.

Giddyup

Flagstaff
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona Hiking - So many hikes, so little time !

During winter, plan your hike on staying in the sun and out of the wind. Your first three are good, Fay and Courthouse have shady sections. Devils bridge is in the shade most of the day. Cathedral is low sun and exposed, Bell rock is okay, Doe Mountain gains a lot of elevation and is exposed.

One of the warmest trails is the Jordan, Teacup, Thunder Mountain area. They are south facing and spend time collecting heat from the exposed rock. Other cold weather hikes are munds wagon, margs draw, and the church spires.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona Hiking - So many hikes, so little time !

Our favourites from our recent hiking trip to Sedona were Doe Mountain, Munds Wagon/Schnebly Hill, and Turkey Creek/House Mountain. (Trip report to come.)

We did the Broken Arrow jeep tour (so didn't hike that one), and also hiked the Boynton Canyon, Boynton Vista, Teacup, Soldier Pass, Sugarloaf, Thunder Mountain, and Chimney Rock Pass trails, as well as the West Fork Oak Creek (I'd choose any of the other trails over this one though). We had planned to go to Devil's Bridge and both the Coconino NF brochure and the friendly staff at the visitor centre assured us the access road was fine for a rental car, but when we got to the turn-off, there was a sign saying high clearance vehicles only, and a bunch of cars bogged down in loose sand and trying to turn around on the road.

As far as we're concerned, with hiking in Sedona you just can't go wrong - they are all great!

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona Hiking - So many hikes, so little time !

Gilbert, looks like you've done your homework and obviously must know the area and basic paths and difficulty of these hikes, as this is a good list. Not to be short, but a lot will have to do with the weather when you are there over Christmas. I'd plan on having a few to do under various weather conditions, watch the skies and temperature closely, and act accordingly.

I will HIGHLY recommend Palatki ruins. Don't worry about the so called "forest road" to get there---it's nothing more than just your run of the mill gravel road that most of us have been on hundreds if not thousands of times. We went to Montezuma's, Tuzigoot, and Palatki, and the latter was my favorite. Getting to look at areas and wall art that dates back over 6000 years, and maybe even to the ice age is a memorable exsperience. Plan on a good 3 hours for that trip---it takes a bit to travel 8 miles on a gravel road and then there are Forest Service volunteers at both the petroglyphs and at the ruins to explain what you are looking at.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona Hiking - So many hikes, so little time !

Thanks for all your help.

We will definitely be doing Palatki and will decide on the other hikes when we see what the weather is like.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas and Happy Travels.

Giddyup

Sayreville, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona Hiking - So many hikes, so little time !

I decided I want to do a little hiking tomorrow in Sedona when I drive up there. The initial poster listed so many trails that all look nice. I'm in the mood for a trail that's a little rugged and scenic and I don't mind one that will tire me out a little bit either. I'm 29 and in decent shape. (At least I think so lol) Can anyone suggest any one in particular I should hike? I won't want to do anything more than 5 or 6 miles total either. Otherwise I think I'm just going to hike which ever trail I happen to drive past tomorrow. They all look good and I probably can't go wrong with anything I do.... :)

Sayreville, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona Hiking - So many hikes, so little time !

Ok, I am on the website for the Coconino National Forest where they list all the trails. The website is very informative and I think all of my questions can be answered there. But if anyone has anything else they want to add, I'm open to hear it. :)

Thanks,

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona Hiking - So many hikes, so little time !

Broken Arrow very scenic. I did a loop : Broken Arrow- Chapel- Mystic with a short road walk back to car.

Doe short but scenic. However, nearby Bear Mt harder and higher but really amazing views. Depends on how long you want to hike.

I found Secret Canyon to be a better hike than Boynton, much longer drive, however , on a tough road.

Really great was Cibola to Devil's sinkhole, then up Soldiers Pass to Brins Mesa, then make a right on Brins Mesa back to car.

8. Re: Sedona Hiking - So many hikes, so little time !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 17:16