We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona???

home
8 posts
Save Topic
Sedona???

Will be heading out to Scottsdale next month for 4 nights at the Marriott Desert Ridge. We are going to get up early one day and drive up to the grand canyon (and then drive home the same night). Since we are short on time, is it worth stopping in Sedona? If so, what would you recommend as far as things to see? Also, how far do you think Sedona is from both Scottsdale, and the South Rim? Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,149 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona???

Sedona is a half way point between Scottsdale and the GCNP. It will take you about 4 hours to get to the GCNP. After you leave the park, if you get off I-17 just below Flagstaff onto SR89A it will bring you down through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona. In Sedona you take SR179 further south to get back to I-17. The total detour will add about 15 minutes to your trip back to Scottsdale if you don't stop in Sedona. If you have the time, you'll want to stop. Just know that you still have 2 hours from Sedona to Scottsdale.

home
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona???

Thanks for the information. Looks like me my spend one day at the GC, and one day at Sedona (Both day trips from Scottsdale). Our budget will only allow for 1 tour (Leaning towards with Pink Jeep in Sedona)....so would you take a tour at the GC, or Sedona? Again,thank you for the help.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,149 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona???

You can tour the GCNP easily on your own, at your own pace. Save your tour budget for the jeep tour in Sedona.

USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona???

You will only have four nights at the JW, so you need to do the Grand Canyon Sedona thing in 1 day. You won't have time for both Grand Canyon and the Sedona Jeep tour. Get up early, drive up to the Grand Canyon, look around for 1 -2 hours, then drive down to Sedona, go to the Oak Creek Canyon viewing place, and then park in downtown Sedona and walk around and eat and shop and then drive home at night. You will love all of it. It will be a full day, but its a beautiful part of AZ that really shouldn't be missed.

sedona,arizona
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona???

Sedona is one of the most stunning places on the planet, so be sure to stop here to explore and go hiking. Jeep tours are a good way to go, but its wonderful to spend time on the land.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona???

Since Sedona and the GCNP are in the same direction, is there a chance you could drive to GCNP, then to Sedona and spend the night and the next day in Sedona?

I agree with the others that Sedona is not to be missed, and just thought it might make your trip easier.

CT
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona???

That is such a short time for the GC or Sedona. I am sure you want to see both but I don't think 1-2 hours in either place is worth it. Both are full day trips at the VERY least. I just don't know how anyone could visit the GC and only spend 1-2 hours. I think it would be more enjoyable to pick one with your limited amount of time or stay over in Sedona if doing both.

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
842 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedona???

I'll echo the posts of others here and agree that a daytrip to the Grand Canyon is a VERY long day. This topic comes up regularly on these forums; you may want to look through a few other discussions.

I've done the daytrip to the Grand Canyon, twice, and neither time had the time or the energy to include Sedona into it.

I'd highly suggest either adding an overnight somewhere in Northern Arizona (Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, or Sedona), or just doing a daytrip to Sedona, and save the Grand Canyon for another trip.

9. Re: Sedona???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 00:17