We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona in April - allergies? crowds? cold?

1 post
Save Topic
Sedona in April - allergies? crowds? cold?

I am taking my wife to Sedona for her FIRST TRIP (!) in mid-April, and I am very excited. I want to make sure she loves it as much as I do. Here are my concerns. Your thoughts?

1) Allergies - she has wicked allergies. Her biggest is ragweed. Should we be worried?

2) Cold - we will be camping and hiking, and want to make sure it's not frigid, at least during the day (we can stay warm in the tent at night).

3) Crowds - the best part of Sedona, for me, is the hiking without hordes of people. How crowded might it be in mid-April?

Any feedback will be welcome. Thank you.

CenterFocus Experiences
Hiking & Camping Tours, Climbing Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Equipment Hire
Sedona Red Rock Tours
Walking Tours, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Trail Lovers Excursions
Walking Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Sedona UFO & Vortex Tours
Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona in April - allergies? crowds? cold?

Hi, empireforest, welcome to Trip Advisor. You will find helpful information here. I sympathize with your wife, as I have allergies too. Recently there was a problem with junipers, but that seems to have subsided. It is still good to have the allergy medication on hand. Weather in April is normally very

nice with daytime temperatures in the 70's and nights in the 50's. However, there are exceptions: we had snow on Easter 3 years ago! (It was light and didn't stick, but you may want to layer clothes and/or bring sweaters or windbreakers just in case.) April is a popular time to visit, but when you are on the trails, there are not huge numbers of people. Maybe one of the others can suggest a trail.

I hope this doesn't double post. I am having a computer problem. So far it shows my first attempt didn't go through.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona in April - allergies? crowds? cold?

I lived in Sedona for 5 years before getting any allergy symptoms. I don't know why it suddenly happened. Now I only get a reaction occasionally. I wouldn't worry though. As Kate wrote, bring the medicine just in case. I've used a homeopathic remedy called "S.W. Desert Mix" with great success. Bought it at our local natural foods store, New Frontiers. I'm not into homeopathy at all. I even surprise myself with this successful treatment comment!

I've never felt crowded in the least on any trail at any time of year here in Sedona. Go to the official Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center in Uptown when you arrive to get a hiking map and suggestions for the types/levels of hikes you want to do.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
333 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona in April - allergies? crowds? cold?

Hi empireforest,

Thank you for traveling to our beautiful part of the U.S. Sedona is a great place to visit, hike, camp and do many other outdoor activities.

My wife also has allergies, and ragweed is one of her problem areas as well. We have hiked in April in Sedona and she has had no problems. As the others have said, keep your meds handy.

The Coconino National Forest has a great web site that lists all the hiking trails in the Sedona area, you might want to check it out for more hiking information: fs.fed.us/r3/…rec_redrock.shtml

You will not be bothered by crowds on the trails in this area either.

Enjoy your trip and thank you for traveling.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona in April - allergies? crowds? cold?

As for your question on crowds...April is peak tourist season for Sedona and everything including trails are crowded.

Level Contributor
2,125 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona in April - allergies? crowds? cold?

We went in April 2008 and I never felt crowded. The temps were a bit cool in the 70s but I thought that was perfect for hiking.

Our favorite part was the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour. Even that didn't feel all that crowded although we did take the earliest morning time and it probably gets more crowded later in the day.

6. Re: Sedona in April - allergies? crowds? cold?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 07:26