We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Sedona for the First Time

ykh
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
211 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Sedona for the First Time

We'll be visiting Sedona(3 adults) for the first time in April. We will stay in Grand Canyon for the first two nites (Mon-Tues), then drive to Sedona on the 3rd day morning. Already booked Sky Ranch Lodge for two nites(Weds-Thurs). Departure flight from Phoenix will be at 5 p.m.

I'm looking for suggestions for our trip/itinerary to sedona. Where can we visit on the way to Sedona from Grand Canyon? At Sedona, I think we will visit the chapel of the holy cross, doing the pink jeep adventure(broken arrow), visit the red rock state park and hiking The West Fork Oak Creek Trail. Not sure doing what on which day. Would like to see more places in a short period of time if possible:)

Thanks so much!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
410 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Sedona for the First Time

We are going in April, too. We were told that West Fork Oak Creek may be too cold and possibly have ice and/or snow. We went to: http://www.greatsedonahikes.com/ and looked at some other hikes just in case we can't do this one. We found several alternative hikes and even added one.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Sedona for the First Time

I assume you will be entering the Grand Canyon from the south entrance (from Phoenix, I-17 north to I-40 west to Hwy 64 north to GCNP). Then you should exit via the east rim road, stopping at all the viewpoints if you haven't done this area yet during your time there. When you get to Hwy 89, go north one mile and visit Cameron Trading Post. Then head south on Hwy 89 and before you reach Flagstaff, take the Wupatki/Sunset Crater loop road (watch for sign for Wupatki), stopping along it wherever you wish (Indian ruins, viewpoints, lava walk, etc.) Continuing on Hwy 89 south, you can drive straight through Flagstaff if you want to see the town, stop to eat or anything else, or hop on I-40 west which runs parallel to the main road through Flagstaff. Eventually get to I-17 south, go just a couple miles on it and get off at the exit for Hwy 89A/Oak Creek Canyon and take that down into Sedona.

Don't worry about planning more things to do in Sedona right now. Leave your schedule open. You've listed several great things to do. Just see how you feel when you get here. You might want to do more hiking...there are so many wonderful hiking trails here. Or you might want to visit art galleries. Or go up to Airport Mesa for sunset.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
962 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Sedona for the First Time

RE: Ice, snow at West Fork in Oak Creek Canyon in April.

Possible Yes. In my opinion after living here for over 20 years. Highly unlikely. April is a beautiful, sunny spring time of the year.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Sedona for the First Time

If you're staying at the Sky Ranch Lodge, you can get a nice discount on the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour. I'm told it's the best discounted rate for that tour. We're staying there and doing the tour on Saturday, March 28th . . . and I can't wait!

ykh
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
211 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Sedona for the First Time

Thanks so much for your feedback, really appreciate it!

I still haven't got reservation inside the GC park for 4/6, I only got 4/7 and 4/8. I will keep calling everyday and hope that someone cancels. Or I might have to spend 4/6 at Sedona, 4/7 and 4/8 at GC and go back to Sedona on 4/9.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
410 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Sedona for the First Time

Regarding the snow and ice on the West Fork Oak Creek trail, I didn't mean that it might snow and/or ice. I was told by one of the experts for Sedona that there still might be some snow and/or ice on the trail since it's cooler up in the canyon.

sedona az
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Sedona for the First Time

We have miles and miles of hiking trails, West Fork just happens to be in the shade of the Canyon.

You should try for instance Soldier's pass trail, Brins Mesa, Boynton Canyon, Cathdedral Rock, Bell rock and many more to choose from.

We are experiencing delightfull weather right now, no snow they are golfing here...but having said that might snow uptown and have nothing in the lower part of Sedona called Village of oak Creek where it is 4000 ft. sedona goes up to 5.500 ft.

8. Re: Visiting Sedona for the First Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 13:18