We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Rough are the Jeep Tours in Sedona ?

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
84 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How Rough are the Jeep Tours in Sedona ?

My wife and I are visiting Sedona in a couple of weeks and we'd love to do a jeep tour but are concerned that her bad back won't stand up to a rough ride. How rough are these rides ?

M Diamond Ranch
Sightseeing Tours
Sedona Sacred Earth
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Silver Spur Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
883 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Rough are the Jeep Tours in Sedona ?

Hi hoz - there was an identical question last week on this subject. That person was asking about her husband's back. Here is a copy of the answer I posted.

"We visited Sedona in May and took the combined Broken Arrow/Scenic Rim tour which lasted for 3 hours.

There are several stopping places for photo opportunities where you can get out to stretch your legs and admire the spectacular views.

Parts of the tracks are rough, but not all of them.

An elderley couple shared the jeep with us for the tour, and even though the gentleman was fairly frail and could not walk far, they both enjoyed the experience as much as we did.

A couple of thoughts for you.

The drivers are fantastic, and very friendly and considerate. Tell the driver about your concerns, and ask for your husband to sit in the front passenger seat which is more conventional seat and will have more support for his back. The rear jeep seats are pretty basic bench type seating, quite hard, and with grab rails.

Perhaps your husband could wear a padded jacket/or back support? Or take a pillow to sit on or lean into?

Also, perhaps you should take one of the shorter tours rather than miss out on such a wonderful experience?

Not an easy decision, I know, but whatever you decide to do, I hope you enjoy beautiful Sedona!" :)

Have a great trip! :)

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Rough are the Jeep Tours in Sedona ?

We took the Broken Arrow Pink Jeep tour back in May. At times my back bothers me but fortunately this was not one of the times and we had a great time. From my experience no way would I go on this jeep tour if my back was bothering me.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Rough are the Jeep Tours in Sedona ?

If she has any remaining doubts after reading these posts, you can always choose a tour that does not have as much rough riding. Pink Jeep has several; the Broken Arrow tour has a lot of up and down rough terrain, while the Scenic Rim tour does not. There is also their ancient ruins tour, which is supposed to be nice. Consult with them about the the differences between the jeep tours both in content and ride to help make your decision.

Franklin, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How Rough are the Jeep Tours in Sedona ?

We took the Broken Arrow Pink Jeep tour just last month. My husband has back pain a lot and he said the jeep tour did bother his back somewhat. He wore his belt, though. It's like one of those that some people wear if they lift heavy stuff. If your wife has a corsette (some MDs recommend them for back pain) she should wear it on the jeep tour. I would hate for her to skip the jeep tour. The Broken Aroow tour is the best!!! The front passenger seat would be much better for her back. It's not nearly as bumpy as a roller coaster or an amusement ride. It depends how bad her back is. If she can walk up stairs at a regular pace, then I think it's fine. If she has to go slowly up stairs because of back pain, then take a smooth jeep tour.

Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How Rough are the Jeep Tours in Sedona ?

We're going on the Jeep tour too, and I just spoke to a couple in their 70's who went a couple of years ago, and they said it was really fun!

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Rough are the Jeep Tours in Sedona ?

Just did the Broken Arrow tour about 2 weeks ago and loved it!

We sat in the back of the jeep and it was quite bumpy but you are strapped in. I do agree with the person that recommended the front passenger seat for more comfort.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Rough are the Jeep Tours in Sedona ?

Each of the companies has several tours to offer; ask them what they recommend.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
260 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Rough are the Jeep Tours in Sedona ?

Its not bad at all. The further back in the jeep you sit the bumpier it is. Its worth it!

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Rough are the Jeep Tours in Sedona ?

We just returned from Sedona yesterday and did the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow/Scenic Rim tour -- both my husband and I have bad backs and it was not an issue. In fact, one of the people that went in the jeep with us was in an electric wheelchair and one of the other men had a prosthetic leg -- everyone enjoyed it. I do believe, however, that the Scenic Rim part of the tour will not be offered after mid-October because of weather and then will start up again in the spring. It was great fun and I would highly recommend it!

Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now