We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mago Retreat

Juno Beach, FL
14 posts
Save Topic
Mago Retreat

Anyone have info about the Mago Retreat outside of Sedona?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,457 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mago Retreat

http://www.sedonamagoretreat.org/

No endorsement intended.

vortex:

1. A spiral motion of fluid within a limited area, especially a whirling mass of water or air that sucks everything near it toward its center.

2. A place or situation regarded as drawing into its center all that surrounds it.

While factual that large masses of rock can exert magnetic energy on a person, the effect is quite the opposite of what is claimed for the "vortexes" in Sedona. Such energy from large natural stone formations is usually tiring to the individual, often described as "draining." You can get the same sensation by sitting under high voltage electrical lines; not recommended. The "vortexes" of Sedona are a made up entity. Enjoy Sedona for its unique beauty, and find spiritual energy within yourself.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,155 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mago Retreat

I used to drive for the Sedona Shuttle. We transported many visitors from Sky Harbor to Sedona and back on a contract basis for the Mago Retreat. It was my observation that these folks were mostly foreigners (many Asians) who had booked packages and were going to get a limited, but in depth view of just part of Sedona, but well away from the general public.

Most of the locals here call it 'woo woo stuff', and I tend to agree. But obviously there is a market for it.

BTW I used to be your neighbor in Palm Beach Gardens.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mago Retreat

Be wary--we Americans can be so gullible. Remember at one time "mood rings" were a big seller. And to think that the market for CHIA Pets was big enough for there to be comercials on TV. ChaChaChaChia!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mago Retreat

LOL! Sorry to get off topic here, but that reminded me of my very high-spirited Italian friend from college. Her boyfriend gave her a Chia pet for CHRISTMAS. And nothing else. She was so mad she threw it at him. ;)>

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mago Retreat

Forgot to add - Sedona is indeed a gorgeous place to visit, but you don't need the Mago Retreat to do it. There are tons of great hotels, inns, resorts, and B&Bs around Sedona, many of them quite charming. There are trails you can hike if you seek solitude, and plenty of places to just get outdoors and enjoy nature's beauty.

And yes, the "vortexes" are a hoax.

CT
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mago Retreat

Don't forget pet rocks besides the Chia pets and mood rings!!

Hicksville, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mago Retreat

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS339US340&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=mago+retreat+sedona&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&latlng=1820122605672493988&dtab=2&ei=hxmvSpH4Ic7qlAfH7ZXaBg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Above is a link to the only reviews I could find of the place. I have been looking at their website for a few days now. It looks like the most beautiful place ever!

I spent 5 days in Sedona a few years back and I have wanted to go back every since.

I am single now, though, and I am hesitant to go because I remember Sedona being a really far trip from the airport...

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,457 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mago Retreat

Sedona is 2 hours from the Phoenix airport, and a very easy drive/trip. There are airport shuttles available as well.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mago Retreat

My 62 year old friend is separated from her husband and she went by herself in February, and she felt it was an easy drive. Recommended not driving up at night time though.

10. Re: Mago Retreat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 20:35