We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon tour - fly or bus/car

New Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
Grand Canyon tour - fly or bus/car

I am staying in Sedona for 3 days and one will be spent at GC. I want to maximize my time, and someone recommended to me taking a flight over the the GC as opposed to a full day tour. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Is a flight a good way to experience it?

Red Rock Magic Trolley
Tramways, Sightseeing Tours
Great West Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Sedona Psychic Wisdom Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,702 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon tour - fly or bus/car

The best way to experience the GC (IMHO) is to be on the ground for as much time as you can give it. You can drive there from Sedona in just over 2 hours. Plan to spend a full day and even an overnight stay if you can get a room and have the time.

CT
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon tour - fly or bus/car

Definately get up as early as possible and DRIVE to the Grand Canyon through Oak Creek. That is a beautiful drive and you really will enjoy hiking the rim or even a short ways down one of the trails. My son and I hike about an hour and a half down South Kaibab trail and it was awesome. There is also the shuttle that will take you to various stops. We thought 2 nights at the rim was perfect, I really can't imagine driving up from Sedona for the day and driving back. There is so much to see!!! But if that is all you have for time, at least you will enjoy the incredible beauty for the time you will have at the GC.

Sedona
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon tour - fly or bus/car

The Grand Canyon is awesome any way you choose to see it. Flying over it, for most people, is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. But don't do a helicopter ride and leave without spending some time on the ground.

A car will give you more freedom to wander at your own pace. If you are spending the night, then driving yourself is by far the best option.

If you are only going to be there for the day, then whether is is beter to drive or tour depends on you. Do you hate group tours? If so, you probably won't like it at GCNP either.

However, if you have EVER been on a guided tour and walked away happy, then what you need to know is that the guided tour from Sedona to Grand Canyon is easily one of the best guided tours on Earth. Why? Because Sedona attracts world-class naturalist guides: geologists, anthropologists and botonists who have escaped from acadamia to live here and share their passion for this area with visitors. Only the very best of these are chosen to do Grand Canyon tours, so you really are getting the best-of-the best.

If you only have one day for GCNP, then the opportunity to spend it with someone like that is an experience you will never forget. They can really make the Grand Canyon come alive in a way you will never get on your own. The best Grand Canyon tours from Sedona are through Great Ventures and Redstone Tours.

Mentioned in this post
Redstone Tours
Redstone Tours
164 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
4. Re: Grand Canyon tour - fly or bus/car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2010, 06:18