We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Days needed to enjoy Sedona / GC?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Days needed to enjoy Sedona / GC?

Hi all, my fiance and I are planning our trip for late May of 2010. One of the things we are trying to do this year is break the trip up, unlike last year going from East Coast to Hawaii all in one shot. We are planning on going back to Hawaii, but we would like to stop in Arizona for a long weekend if possible. We anticipate leaving Saturday the 15th bright and early, landing in Phoenix around 10AM. We'd like to see Grand Canyon and the natural beauty of Sedona. Supposing we only had a "long weekend" to stay, what is a realistic number of days we should budget for a few of the must-sees? For instance, what would be a travesty if we missed?

Thanks,

Joe

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Days needed to enjoy Sedona / GC?

Actually your long weekend is shorter than you think and you can't do both the GC and Sedona and not have missed most that both offer. I would choose one or the other.

The GC is 4 hours from PHX, and allowing an hour to get bags and rental car, you won't leave PHX till 11, arriving at the GC at 3ish or maybe a bit later. Spending the night and doing the canyon the next day before departing for the 4 hour trip back to PHX will only allow you to possibly drive through Sedona at best.

Sedona is 2 hours from PHX and has a host of things to see and do. Two days will be insufficient for the things to see and do there. If you opt for Sedona, you will not have time for the GC in that 2 day period. Unfortunately you will most likely have to choos one or the other.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Days needed to enjoy Sedona / GC?

...unless of course I extend the number of days I stay there! Which is where I'm hoping you guys come in. Assuming I'm there for the "readers digest" version, how many days would I need to enjoy the Grand Canyon and Sedona? I'm flexible, everything is open ended. Like in business, you're first offer is never the best... I'd be willing to stay for longer if I had to.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Days needed to enjoy Sedona / GC?

We arrived on a Saturday and returned home on Wednesday. We stayed in Sedona, and did a day trip to the Grand Canyon. For us, that was a perfect amount of time to hit the high points of Sedona and see the Canyon. We didn't do much hiking, and would have needed more time if we wanted to do that. You could cut one day, do Saturday - Tuesday, and see a big part of Sedona and a day trip to the Canyon, but you would be packing activities into that amount of time and spending quite a bit of time on the road. Since you are continuing on with your vacation from there, that may not be a bad thing, as you will have time to relax when you get to Hawaii.

Definitely do a Pink Jeep Tour. I was hesitant, but it was really great. Have dinner at Elote. The Chef there is doing some amazing things. Be some place where you can see the setting sun reflect off of the red rocks. Visit the Chapel of the Holy Cross. Drive through Oak Creek Canyon on your way to the Grand Canyon. It would be a travesty is you missed any of these things.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Days needed to enjoy Sedona / GC?

Last year we spent 5 days in Sedona and 2 at the South Rim, this year we just returned from 3 days at Sedona and 2 at the North Rim. So in the last year we just spent 8 full days at Sedona and we could return and still have things to do. So, how long you stay is up to you. But if you want to minimize your time and maximize the sights, I would say 2 days at each at a minimum.

Arrive in PHX and go to the Park. See as much as possible the remainder of the afternoon. See sunset, stay over night in one of the park lodges. See sunrise the next morning, then see more of what the park offers. Leave in the afternoon and drive 2 hours to Sedona. Have dinner and spend the night. All day Sedona the next day, stay the night. The next day is in Sedona, driving in evening 2 hours to PHX for late night or early morning flight to Hawaii to finish your trip. It is not ideal, but if you have 2 days you can accomplish a lot in Sedona.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,704 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Days needed to enjoy Sedona / GC?

MrsRedPony and I enjoyed 7 one week long vacations in Sedona over a 5 year period before we moved here almost 10 years ago. We're still enjoying it and need more time. Planning on using the rest of our lives.

Seriously, I think one week in Sedona (5-7 days) is ideal for a first time visitor and 2 days/1 night at the GCNP South Rim gives you a good taste and reasons to plan a return trip.

Most posters here at TA who visit Sedona for less than 5 days state that they wish they had allowed more time, and most do plan (or have already) to return.

CT
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Days needed to enjoy Sedona / GC?

I am a perfect example for RedRox's post. We visited Sedona and the GC about a year and a half ago. We spent 2 nights in Sedona, 2 nights on the rim of the GC and 2 nights in Phoenix. I think 2 nights staying at the rim of the GC is perfect for seeing a lot, including time to hike INTO the canyon which I believe is a MUST DO. (even if you only go a little ways down, the perspective is so different and incredible.)

Two nights in Sedona wasn't enough, it was only a taste and that is why I am returning this month!!! Sedona and the GC are places you want to take in, explore, & reflect.

Definately extend your time. I wouldn't choose one over the other... life is short...do BOTH!! And then do a return trip to your favorite.

7. Re: Days needed to enjoy Sedona / GC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2010, 06:17