We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Tips To See The Sites

NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
325 reviews
Save Topic
Need Tips To See The Sites

My wife and I will be coming into Sedona from GC on Oct 28-29. I want to make sure we see all the best sites, but not sure of how to approach it. I'm looking at the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour to bring us into the rocks, but not sure if we'd see all the main sites. It seems we can just drive around to get the views, but not sure, and I've read there's a lot of traffic. I'd also like to see Oak Creek Canyon. We like to walk a lot (or easy hikes), but nothing strenuous. We're staying at The Matterhorn. Any help in creating some sort of basic itinerary would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Tips To See The Sites

We just got back for our timeshare week, so we were able to do a lot more than you, since you have only 2 days. There is traffic, and it is sometimes slow because of the construction. But it really isn't a huge hassle.

You will be driving right through Oak Creek Canyon on your way to Sedona from the GC, so you can check that one off. Do stop at the scenic views.

Pink Jeep Broken Arrow will get you up close and personal with the red rocks. You also should drive down to the Village of Oak Creek, go out the Verde Valley School road to the end and walk down to Red Rock Crossing. From there you can do an easy hike to get you close to Cathedral Rock.

On your way back, stop at Bell Rock. You can also do a hike from the parking lot to Bell Rock or further. The trail goes entirely around Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte.

Just before you hit Sedona on your way from VOC, stop at the Chapel of the Holy Cross.

For either sunrise or sunset, or both, drive up airport road. About half way up there is a parking area on the left, and a short climb to the viewpoint. But the lot fills up early for sunset, so you might not be able to get in. Almost at the top there is a large parking lot on the left, and a great viewing area across the road on the right.

This will get you started, and might fill up your entire time if you don't have 2 full days in Sedona.

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Tips To See The Sites

We did the Broken Arrow Pink Jeep tour our first visit to Sedona and it was WONDERFUL. The time went so quickly, I'd recommend doing the Broken Arrow Combo tour.

I would encourage you to do at least one hike, if you enjoy that sort of thing. I just returned from Sedona from my second trip there and as much as I loved the Pink Jeep tour, hiking is even BETTER!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Tips To See The Sites

I'm planning my first trip too, and your interests and amount of time in Sedona sound really similar to mine (i.e., two full days in Sedona, and I like walking but am not a hiker).

My tentative plans include alot of what others recommended, and I'm working on refining them to make sure I am not backtracking too much, and realize I might not get to do everything on my list. Anyway, here is what I was considering:

Day 1: Morning: Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour, stop at Sedona tourism office afternoon: Drive up Oak Creek Canyon with stops at West Fork (scenic hike that is more like a walk) and maybe Oak Creek Vista (views, Native American vendors), sunset at the Airport Mesa

Day 2: Morning: Red Rock State Park (walk), uptown Sedona (browse shops), Afternoon: Tlaquepaque (browse shops and art), Bell Rock/Cathedral Rock (short walk, scenic views), Chapel of the Holy Cross, sunset - location TBD

Have a great trip!

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Tips To See The Sites

The most important thing to do with limited time in Sedona is to divide the area into thirds. Mapquest or Google map it and you will see that it is basically in and around a "Y" where 179 intersects 89A. Plan on doing things as Beachdreams suggested. Take the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour after coming down 89A through Oak Creek Canyon, as it is in Uptown, just north of the Y. Stop at the headwall before entering the canyon, get photos of the beautiful vistas, and shop the Native American wares at this location. Skip the West Fork hike, as you will not have a red rocks pass. Visit Uptown and maybe Tlaquepaque, get a one day red rock pass, (for the next day) then do the sunset Pink jeep Tour. Skip the Combo tour as you will be limited in time, so just do the Broken Arrow tour.

The next morning take a sunrise stroll on the Bell Rock Pathway (down 179) and watch the sunrise on the red rocks. Then stop at Chapel of the Holy Cross on your way back up 179. In the afternoon, head out west on 89A to Dry Creek Road and see the area around the Enchantment. On the way back, either visit Red Rock State Park or Crescent Moon and stroll down to Oak Creek and the views of Cathedral Rock. Evening go to the Airport Mesa (still out on 89A to the west) and see the sunset.

Try and do things on each leg of the Y to keep yourselves from backtracking.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Tips To See The Sites

If you go to the Chapel of the Holy Cross, directly across the street is one monster "butt-ugly" house. You have to see it in person to believe it.

www.flickr.com/photos/wetbaloney/357151348/

For this link, you'll have to "page down" and see all the photos of the ugly house.

homesoftherich.net/2009/04/a-look-at-mega-ma…

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Tips To See The Sites

Hmmm - "butt-ugly". That wasn't a phrase that came to mind when I saw it last week. "Monster" yes, "big" yes. Personally, I thought the house was beautiful.

I would have to agree though that choosing to display one's wealth right outside the Chapel of the Holy Cross could be considered distasteful. Right house, wrong location.

7. Re: Need Tips To See The Sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 05:17