We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day hikes in Sedona, sorry no jeep tours!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
1,214 reviews
Save Topic
Day hikes in Sedona, sorry no jeep tours!

I saw the previous post with jeep tours but my partner will not likely do a jeep tour, but will love moderate-strenuous day hikes. We have 2-3 days which we would like to fill with hikes with great scenery, preferably fewer people. Arriving on a thursday in January.

Thanks for previous advice, we got our rooms at Grand Canyon first!

M Diamond Ranch
Sightseeing Tours
Sedona Sacred Earth
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Great West Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day hikes in Sedona, sorry no jeep tours!

Too bad your partner will not consider the jeep tour. We really enjoyed it - it really isn't "cheesy" - except for maybe a few jokes - lol. The guide we had was full of knowledge of the area and very informative - we learned a lot and took in some beautiful scenery.

I know the experts will give you some great hiking advice.

I found this site helpful when we planned our trip:

http://www.greatsedonahikes.com/

If you can also order the Sedona Visitor's Guide online - it had a great map of the trails along with other good Sedona info. I know that map is somewhere online too. If I come across it, I'll post a link.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day hikes in Sedona, sorry no jeep tours!

Ahhh... silly me, the link to the trail map is on the site I indicated above. Happy planning!

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day hikes in Sedona, sorry no jeep tours!

I don't blame your partner for not wanting to take a Jeep tour. If you can hike, hiking is the better option for getting close to the dirt. The bouncy ride can also aggrivate back problems. I had a number of customers (bike tours) when someone in the group had to bail out because they hurt their back on a Jeep tour!

There shouldn't be too many people here in January so I wouldn't worry too much about crowded trails. But here are some trails I posted earlier that don't get many people or bikes and are very scenic and interesting.

1) "Marge's Draw" is a little less traveled so that would be a good one.

2) "Sherman Mountain" goes to the top of the mesa behind the HS and offers unbelievable views as the top is around 5,000 feet and Sedona is 4,500 or less. Not Red Rock terrain but basalt. There are also some spur trails that go for miles. The trailhead is located behind the HS. Ask for a map at the Ranger station on Hwy 179 when you drive in.

3) "Turkey Creek" is a beautiful hike through a valley of sorts. There are lots of unmarket trails that can be confusing or fun depending on how you look at it. The trailhead is on Verde Valley School Road. The parking lot is on your left shortly after the pavement ends. The unofficial trail leaves the back of the parking lot or you can walk the dirt road to the official trailhead. You can use the same parking lot to get onto the Baldwin trail.

4) Thompson Trail: Park at Midgly Bridge a short distance North of Uptown. The parking lot is always busy but most people aren't hiking. Take the trail that leads straight out of the back of the parking lot away from the bridge. You'll see signs for Wilson Mt. which is a tough long uphill and very interesting until you come down. Follow the Wilson Canyon signs and when you see the Wilderness sign take a sharp left and hike of the hill. Incredible views!

5) "Girdner Trail" Trailhead is a the end Culteral Park Road Park at the picnic table and see the FS map kiosk. Takes you down a hill and into a fascinating wash with interesting limestone formations. It is sandy in some areas.

Hope you find these interesting. I've sure enjoyed them over the years hiking and mt. biking.

4. Re: Day hikes in Sedona, sorry no jeep tours!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2010, 05:18