We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 full days in sedona itin help-

rochester, ny
12 posts
Save Topic
5 full days in sedona itin help-

After 36 hours in the Grand Canyon, we are spending 5 full days in Sedona.

So far, I have these longs lists of what to do, and a strong desire to not schedule too much! We have rented a beautiful house on Woodland Dr in Sedona -- which seems to be across 179 from the Chapel. And I think we will enjoy just looking at the view from our hot tub! Still, we should do something with our days....

Mon, April 19- Trolley/?

20-- Pink Jeep/hike?

21-- Silver Spur Tours for ride up Oak Canyon and a float trip in the Canyon. Only day we can do it. 12 hours. Good idea??

22-- hike? Nothing planned really

23-- Yikes! Our last full day!

I have a list, but don't know how much time things would take, and don't know which attractions pair well with others. Can you help plug them in my itinerary?

Tlaq/dinner/airort mesa-- is this a good combo? Where would it go?

Jerome

Trail horse in Cottonwood?

montezuma castle/well

Bell Rock hike

A couple more suggested hikes for not uber-hikers.

and my hubby enjoys the skies-- so something stellar would be fun.

I'm sure I've missed a ton, but we don't want to overplan. One area a day, maybe two if they piggy back well. That is probably plenty. No?,

But, is there something I missed that I absolutely should not have? I know we'll enjoy what ever we do!

Anyway, enough rambling--- how would you pro's flush out this itinerary?

j

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 full days in sedona itin help-

Lets start by discussing your plans and itinerary. I assume you mean taking a smooth water float from Page on the Colorado with Silver Spur Tours. Why not just drive to Page yourself after leaving the GC and do the float yourselves? Why go down to Sedona, only to go back north to Page? Is it an itinerary and reservation problem you are having? (ie reservations at the GC and in Sedona set) Elaborate on your canyon plans and we will see if you should/could do this on your own while up in Northern AZ. Once we have this item fixed, then we can work on the others. But any way you slice it, even if you have to drive to Page from Sedona, there is ZERO reason to pay for someone else when you can make this jaunt yourselves.

greeneyes67
Level Contributor
54 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 full days in sedona itin help-

What you have so far looks great! Don't miss a drive up Oak Creek Canyon...Simply beautiful!

Airport Mesa is great to view sunset. If you want to eat at Tlaquepaque, I suggest El Rincon. Sir on the patio and sip a margarita. Really great food!

Jerome is fun. While there visit Asylum restaurant or the Haunted hamburger. Great views! Asylum also has nice wine list & calamari.

A late afternoon on the deck at Tii Gavo is also nice. Breathtaking Red Rock views and nice appetizers.

If you love really fantastic Mediterranean-Italian food try Fournos in West Sedona...Really over the top food!

If you like wine, there are several vineyards just seven miles south of Sedona that have tasting rooms. Nice drive through Page Springs too!

rochester, ny
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 full days in sedona itin help-

Good points.

We will leave Flagstaff Sat morning the 17 and drive into the GCNP at South entrance. Hope to be there before 10am.

Originally I thought first day we'd enter the south entrance, do the Rim Walk, shuttle and such. Check into Kachina. Early-ish dinner at Bright Angel, sunset from Hopi, drinks at El Tovar, and bed.

Sunrise on the 18th at Mather, breakfast at El Tovar, explore, and when we want, start the exit out the east side.

Hikes I'd like to fit in here would be the Rim, and to ooh -ahh point. And I'm debating between a max 3 mile down and back on either S Kaibob or Bright Angel. I've read Kaibob is prettier, and cleaner! But really don't know.

Flagstaff sights are an option that day, depending on when we leave GCNP. Not a must do-- don't have time to make it a must do!

We check into our house in Sedona on Sunday the 18. Not too late as I have to go grocery shopping, and will probably just enjoy the house that night with a pizza or something super simple.

There. You know all I do about this trip now! If you guys can advise a great way to fit things in, that would be fine and dandy by me! It is for my 15 daughter, my hubby (fire chief) and me. Not an athlete, but not terribly out of shape at 51. Just mildy. : )

And-- I am not a commando tourist. I like to do things, but, I like my margarita in the hot tub too!

j

rochester, ny
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 full days in sedona itin help-

We love wine tours-- we are form the Finger LAkes in NY. So, we have literally hundreds of wineries in our back yard. I was going to search for a wine trail in Sedona that we could possibly follow ourselves.

j

greeneyes67
Level Contributor
54 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 full days in sedona itin help-

Sounds good! Especially the pizza, margarita, hot tub...LOL!

You can go to Page Springs Road off 89A and drive through the vineyards and stop at your leisure. There is also a combo Jeep Tour/wine tasting with Day In The West.

The hikes sound good, but I am not versed enough to help with that... El Tovar is definitely the choice. Sits right at the canyon!

Also, The Art of Wine at Hyatt Pinion Pointe has daily wine tastings and sells/serves only local AZ wines. A bonus is the views from the center are breathtaking!

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 full days in sedona itin help-

OK, now I get the picture. Let's start with suggestions on the GC first since it is more detailed. Check in at all lodges is 4PM. By the time you do so (lots trying at that time) get to your room and check it out, it is now 5. Here's what I wrote yesterday to someone else about sunset (in March though and hiking, just gleam what is appropriate for you:

>There are lots of places on the Rim trail wall to sit for a picnic as Enzian has indicated. But more important than WHERE to sit is WHEN to sit for sunset. Sunset will occur about 6:30. That is when the sun will disappear over the horizon, and the canyon is totally dark then as it obviously is below the rim/ground level. The show in the canyon is over then. You need to be watching the whole sunset experience, i.e. what is occurring IN the canyon an hour to hour and half before that. So that makes it around 5ish you need to be thinking of where to sit.

So........If you leave to begin your hike at 3 and hike down for an hour, allowing for twice the time to hike back up, you won't be back to the rim until around 6:00, and most of the canyon will already be in shadows, and you will have missed the show. So, either start hiking earlier or only go down half as long (1/2 hour) so you can get back up and find your picnic spot.<

OK, now if you get my drift from above, if you eat at 5ish and end at 6ish, and try and get to Hopi Point for sunset, most of it will pass as you are on the shuttle because sunset is right at about 7pm when you are there. LOTS of people try and go to Hopi, so you may have to wait for a couple of shuttles. Then you get to see about the last 15-30 minuutes in a crowd, and then have to fight for shuttle space to get back. REAL relaxing!! I would either do dinner after sunset or pick a spot closer to where you eat so you won't have to fight the crowds to catch a 1/2 hour shuttle ride. You could even stop at the market or deli and have a picnic dinner watching the sun put the canyon to bed (my choice).

Hikes: Neither my wife or I are avid hikers, more like walkers. We hiked down to Ooh-Ahh point and that was fine for us. I still developed tendonitis in my knee when we returned home, so just do what you feel like. Remember, you have to climb back out, and it takes 2x as long as decending. It was a magnificent scene though, and I would highly recommend S Kaibab trail.

Near where you are staying in Sedona is a GREAT pizza place--Pago's pizza and they deliver too. We preferred that to the one from Piccazo's by a huge margin. It was delicious and very reasonable, almost cheap by what we usually pay. I would stronghy recommend it.

Got to sign off now. Maybe more later on tomorrow. Hope this helps. (Sorry, but I'm a stickler for details)

Edited: 04 March 2010, 23:40
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 full days in sedona itin help-

While you are in Oak Creek Canyon hike along the West Fork. It is very easy with some shallow creek crossings (you don't have to get your feet wet).

Don't worry you'll easily be able to fill your days. You get oriented very quickly there.

The wineries are easy to reach along Oak Creek toward Cottonwood. We found the wines quite dry, with many California wines mixed in.

I think sunrise is better than sunset at airport mesa.

Enjoy your trip!

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 full days in sedona itin help-

This might help with the wineries. Gave me a good idea where to go.

http://www.vvwinetrail.com/index.html

9. Re: 5 full days in sedona itin help-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2010, 06:16