We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recently returned from Spring break trip -- awesome!

Virginia
Level Contributor
198 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Recently returned from Spring break trip -- awesome!

Thanks to everyone for the all the advice. We had a fantastic trip to AZ. My 10 year old was able to run, climb, and get dirty without being scolded -- a boy's dream come true!

After leaving Phoenix, we stopped to eat @ Rock Springs Cafe in Black Canyon City (both to & from Phoenix) -- great suggestion -- food was good; fantastic pie! Before reaching Sedona, we stopped @ Montezuma Castle NM -- visitor center and scenic 1/3 mile paved loop.

Two days/nights in Sedona: We walked the 1 mile Bell Rock Pathway -- great views of Bell Rock & Courthouse Butte. We stayed @ Best Western Arroyo Roble Hotel & Creekside Villas in Uptown -- perfect location to walk to restaurants, stores, chamber of commerce, Pink Jeep. Beautiful view from balcony, 2 pools (indoor & outdoor), free parking, free breakfast buffet. We visited the Chapel of the Holy Cross -- paved road, nice views. We took Pink Jeep's Broken Arrow 2 hour tour -- awesome! Great views, "scary" terrain thrilled our Son. We hiked 3/4 mile to Cathedral Rock. Tried to climb to the top; but unsuccessful. We drove to the scenic overlook @ the Airport and climbed Airport Mesa. Son loved this one!

Our two day/one night Grand Canyon adventure: Drove thru Oak Creek Canyon -- interesting change of scenery. Took eastern route to GCNP. Stopped @ Sunset Crater Volcano NM & walked the 1 mile loop Lava Flow trail. Continued the drive to Wupakti NM and walked the 1/2 mile loop to view the pueblos. The 35 mile loop road is both worth the time & money. Arrived GCNP via the East entrance stopping @ Desert View, Navajo Pt, Lipan Pt, Tusayan Museum, Moran Pt. Checked into Maswik Lodge. I was pleasantly surprised with the room and proximity to the Rim/lodges/restaurants. We tried to hike into the Canyon via the Bright Angel Trail, but it was partly covered with snow/ice, so we turned around. We visited Yavapai Point, took the shuttle to Hermit's rest, and exited the park via the South Entrance back to Phoenix.

It's hard to gauge how much fun a 10 year old hooked on electronics might have, but we ALL enjoyed our vacation. The only downfalls were the 2 days of COLD weather @ GCNP and when our rental car broke down -- fortunately we were only a mile from the Flagstaff airport and after an hour we were on our way again.

AZ is a big change from VA -- hope to return very soon!

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recently returned from Spring break trip -- awesome!

Thanks for your report and it sounds like everything worked out really great for you. You certainly seemed to pack a lot into your time and glad your son didn't miss his electronics.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recently returned from Spring break trip -- awesome!

Thanks for your report and it sounds like everything worked out really great for you. You certainly seemed to pack a lot into your time and glad your son didn't miss his electronics.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recently returned from Spring break trip -- awesome!

Great trip report filled with tidbits for future travelers-sounds like a model itinerary except for the problem with the car. Luckily that was not a major inconvenience! I'm glad to hear you had an awesome time.

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recently returned from Spring break trip -- awesome!

My husband and I are planning a 25th wedding anniversary trip toto put with our travel information because it seems like you did everything we plan to do! Thanks for such a good review.

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recently returned from Spring break trip -- awesome!

Oops...the toto thing was a mistake. What I wanted to say was that I printed a copy of your review to put with my travel information, because we plan to do most of what you mentioned in your review. I'm a teacher. Guess I forgot to proofread my response. Embarrassing...

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,102 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recently returned from Spring break trip -- awesome!

Glad you enjoyed yourselves and managed so many activities in a short time. It's good that you didn't force yourselves to get to the top of Cathedral Rock. You don't need to get all the way up there, and it is dangerous. You won't improve your views by climbing higher and risking your life and health.

Just last week the EMT rescue team had to perform another costly rescue when a solo hiker and his dog (!) became stranded high up on the monolith. These rescues shouldn't have to happen. They cost thousands of dollars of tax payer's money and endanger lives in the process.

At the Grand Canyon, you can and will be held liable for the cost of rescues. I hope they start billing people for similar services elsewhere.

Virginia
Level Contributor
198 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recently returned from Spring break trip -- awesome!

We did pack a lot into our trip, but my Son and I are early risers and because of my husband's work schedule we are accustomed to eating dinner late, so we filled our days with as much as possible and then slept soundly each night. Fortunately we also have a child who is accustomed to being on an adult schedule and is cooperative (most of the time). We did have time to unwind the last two days of our trip @ the Hilton Pointe Squaw Peak in Phoenix (water park w/lazy river, slide, Easter activities for kids).

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recently returned from Spring break trip -- awesome!

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm glad you enjoyed our beautiful state. Having living in VA for several years, I can certainly agree to it being different from your state. Be careful, it's addictive, and you just may end up living here!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
54 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recently returned from Spring break trip -- awesome!

Thanks for your great report. We are leaving Friday with out 2 daughters who are 11 & 14. We are flying to Phoenix and driving to GCNP the next morning, spending the night in GCNP, then Page then Sedona back to Phoenix. I noticed that you stopped at the Sunset Crater and entered via the east entrance. How long would it take us from Phoenix to GCNP if we went this route? I've been trying to figure out how to fit this in. Our trip from Page to Sedona includes, Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon & Cameron TP so I thought it would be too much for the crater too.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
54 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recently returned from Spring break trip -- awesome!

One more question, I know you said to dress in layers but should we bring mostly shorts or long pants?