We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convertible Rental at Phoenix Airport

Oregon
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Convertible Rental at Phoenix Airport

We're going to be driving to Sedona from Phoenix and would like to rent a convertible (preferrably a Mustang). Is there a specific rental company anyone recommends?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,265 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convertible Rental at Phoenix Airport

I advocate sticking with the major companies such as Hertz, Avis, Thrifty, etc. They all have convertibles. If a Mustang is a must, I would call the local Phoenix location and ask what convertibles they stock. I always rent from Hertz, and they offer both Mustang and Chrysler convertibles, and, though I can make a request on a reservation, there is no guarantee that a particular brand will be available on the day of rental.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convertible Rental at Phoenix Airport

Ditto Bobbear. And, convertibles are usually expensive to rent, so I suggest trying to find a coupon somewhere. Those Entertainment coupon books usually have them, or if you're a member of a travel group such as AAA, frequent flyer, etc. you can usually find discounts.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,186 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convertible Rental at Phoenix Airport

Be prepared to pay a big premium for a convertible. Hertz and Budget usually have good inventories of Ford products.

michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convertible Rental at Phoenix Airport

I'm doing the same thing in May and did the research and selected Avis. I did call locally and they have Mustangs but as previously stated "won't" guarantee them. The price is expensive. I joined the Avis Preferred Program hoping that might get me some clout. If nothing else you can bypass the counter and go directly to selecting your vehicle. Hope that helps.

Level Contributor
325 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convertible Rental at Phoenix Airport

You may wish to try Hotwire starting within a month of your trip to see if you can get a better price on a convertible (not bidding, actual prices). We did this, both on a recent trip to San Francisco, then when we went to Hawaii in November. We had a reservation booked with one of the major companies several months in advance & then I kept checking prices. For our Hawaii trip, the Hotwire prices went down probably within a week of our departure date (significantly!). Our reservation was routed to Hertz in SF, Avis in Hawaii. Then, of course, we cancelled the other reservations.

6. Re: Convertible Rental at Phoenix Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2010, 05:15