We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Fork Hike

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
West Fork Hike

A few weeks ago, a number of messages on this forum indicated that this hike was not very doable because of high water. Do those conditions continue now. We will be in Sedona May 15-19.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,827 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Fork Hike

AFAIK, the creek is still running high. Best to check with the ranger station or Chamber of Commerce when you arrive in town. The rim has experienced a heavy amount of snow this winter and while it has pretty much all melted, the run off continues.

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: West Fork Hike

Just did this hike a couple days ago (see my trip report posted as outdoorfoodie's mostly hiking trip report). We had NO problems -water was not swift at all. There are multiple crossings though. If you have Keenes or Tevas or other water hikers I'd recommend bringing them. Treking poles help, but you'll also find a stash of walking sticks left by other hikers about 1/4 mile down the trail. Have fun!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Fork Hike

As Outdoorfoodie says, it's high but doable: that means, if you want to do this trail be ready for anything. But I do think that the worst of the snow melt has passed and you will need to see for yourselves.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Fork Hike

Hey, how was your food experiencing here in Sedona? Please be frank. Lots of folks are looking for vegetarian or at least low salt, carbo, or cholesterol options. What is your opinion?

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: West Fork Hike

Maybe I should post a response to my own original post about eating, so as not to confuse with hiking -two things I love to do!! Short answer - Cafe Elote was our favorite.

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West Fork Hike

According to the latest USGS data online at:

waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv…

the volumetric flow rate through Oak Creek as of May 2 was only about 10 percent above the 28-year average.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
1,164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West Fork Hike

WE were there 2 weeks ago and no problems. Poles are very helpful if you have them. Decide if you want to go dry (ie walking over logs, rocks, etc to cross the stream) or just walk across the stream in water shoes, old running shoes, etc which is likely cold (I went dry)

We were there on a Sunday so it was busy, I'd go early or during he week.

Good Trail

8. Re: West Fork Hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2010, 05:18