We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Struggling with lodging for 4 newbies

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Struggling with lodging for 4 newbies

Have never been to Sedona, but my mother's wish is to go there. Lodging for 4 adults - 2 beds and 2 baths are our only requirements. We are not interested in spending $500 a night however, because we plan to be there for a week. Early October is our tentative plan. Have I missed finding some hidden away gem? Adjoining rooms or a quaint hotel; condo that rents for a week..... My elderly parents are able to walk just fine and we'll have a rental car. A location with a view would be nice. Does one want to be right where the action is for a week or out where there is a view? Quiet and clean would be our other criteria.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Quaint hotels in Sedona
The Inn Above Oak Creek
The Inn Above Oak Creek
#2 of 48 hotels in Sedona
Adobe Grand Villas
Adobe Grand Villas
#1 of 48 hotels in Sedona
Casa Sedona Inn
Casa Sedona Inn
#3 of 48 hotels in Sedona
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Struggling with lodging for 4 newbies

Not sure if you've checked them out yet or not, but we had a very pleasant stay at the Villas of Sedona. It's a timeshare resort that also rents out units not being used by their owners.

We swapped in on a timeshare trade in 2009 -- had a very comfortable two-bedroom unit that seems like it would meet most of your criteria.....

Our unit had a fair-sized full kitchen, a dining area with a tile-topped table with seating for six, a cathedral-ceilinged living room with fireplace, sofa and a couple of easy chairs, a downstairs bedroom (think it had a queen-sized bed but not sure because it's the unit our friend used) with it's own bathroom, a seating area open to the living room at the top of the stairs, a queen-bedded bedroom with master bath upstairs, a smallsh second floor balcony -- room enough for a couple of chairs with surprising privacy, and a small patio off the living room. We stayed three or four days (don't remember which) and the three of us were quite comfortable.

Location was convenient -- off the main drag far enough so that traffic noise was minimal, but close enough to downtown and "the split" (or "the Y" - forget the terminology now) to be convenient.

The only real drawback we found is that it really doesn't offer much of a scenic view -- but we made up for that by driving around and taking a Pink Jeep tour, getting our scenery away from the unit.

Not sure of their rental fees these days, but wanted to mention it because we found the floorplan ideal for one couple traveling with an older, single friend.

Am sure you'll hear from others as well, but thought I'd get the discussion started....

Mentioned in this post
Villas of Sedona
Villas of Sedona
133 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
8,220 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Struggling with lodging for 4 newbies

2 BR timeshares are likely to be fully booked in early October. You might want to try Sky Ranch Lodge. You could probably get adjoining rooms. Non-view rooms you can get for under $100 per night, and view rooms will be $150 or more. But even with a non-view room, it is only a few steps to a gorgeous view right at the property. And you are only a short walk from the airport cafe, good food at reasonable prices.

http://www.skyranchlodge.com/

Mentioned in this post
Sky Ranch Lodge
Sky Ranch Lodge
1,410 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Struggling with lodging for 4 newbies

In addition to Sky Ranch...

For a very very simple but clean and cheery motel, you might get 2 queen beds (or 2 rooms) at White House Inn (West Sedona). The rates can be as low as $60 per night.

Orchards Inn is fairly affordable, and every room has a view. But, fyi, RedRox, (one of our TA gurus) has mentioned it get bus traffic. ?

I know of one Sedona travel site that's a real stand out, especially for lodging. Good info. Not a sales site. I highly recommend you have a look at:

www.SedonaHappy.com

It covers everything, but there's a section called, "budget finds" (I think) that might be a good resource for you.

Hope you and your family enjoy Sedona. Lucky you! The FIRST time is the most impressive... seems almost "magical."

Edited: 17 May 2010, 13:36
Mentioned in this post
Sky Ranch Lodge
Sky Ranch Lodge
1,410 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,854 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Struggling with lodging for 4 newbies

Early October is a very busy time in Sedona as the weather is almost perfect. I mention this not to scare you, but to emphasize the importance of making a decision and booking reservations.

As noted, there are nearly a dozen time share resorts in Sedona that offer 2BR accommodations. But the chances are, they are already fully booked for October by now. You next option is a pair of rooms at almost any hotel or lodge in Sedona. There are scores to choose from in every style and price range. But the most popular ones book early.

Bottom line is that it really doesn't matter where you sleep when you visit Sedona. Everything is convenient. You'll use your car every day. And it's all about the day time and being up and out and away from your room.

www.visitsedona.com

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Struggling with lodging for 4 newbies

Hi Again,

Checked with some local buddies who shared 3 additional possibilities:

1. Junipine Resort ($$ - $$$) 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and 2 Fireplaces.

2. Forest Houses Resort ($ - $$) Some with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, and at least one fireplace.

3. Kokopelli Inn Suites ($ - $$+) There's an option for a two bedroom with a full kitchen. I'm not sure about the number of bathrooms at this one.

Hope this helps. Let us know if we can offer any more insight.

-Dagny

PS From what I hear, all #1 and #3 offer terrific discounts for advance booking... 25% +.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Struggling with lodging for 4 newbies

We were able to get Sedona Summit (2 bed/2 bath) for about $740 for a week. Hardly seems possible! We're staying as 'guests' on a friend's RCI time share. Have until 5:00 today to cancel. I have read mixed reviews based upon where you are placed.....which seems to be based upon your status: Diamond owner, RCI, renter, etc. Unbelievable price, but don't want to be giving something up for the price. (Was able to find a $1400/week 2 bed/2 bath home that looks very nice.)

Mentioned in this post
Sedona Summit Resort
Sedona Summit Resort
1,863 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
nyc
Level Contributor
78 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Struggling with lodging for 4 newbies

There are those who say it doesnt matter where you stay in Sedona. We just returned and I think that some places are much more convenient than others. We are glad we did not stay north of uptown Sedona. The ride from Sedona north is winding and not lit. It is gorgeous during the day, but I would hate to drive it at night. West Sedona is extremely convenient. Most places there seem to be off the road and quiet. It is centrally located so that you can head off in just about any direction without a lot of extra driving. I would stay in uptown Sedona or west Sedona. North, or South to VOC just seems a lot less convenient.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
nyc
Level Contributor
78 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Struggling with lodging for 4 newbies

PS. I dont know how elderly your parents are, but if they are not going to be outside walking and hiking all day, you will want some place where it is pleasant to be for part of the day.

Dallas
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Struggling with lodging for 4 newbies

You might check out private rentals. My 3 girl friends and I will be arriving this coming Saturday for 6 nights. We've rented a 4 BR/3BA house, with large patio, hot tub, all the amenities, wi fi, etc., on more than an acre. We aren't staying right in Sedona, but only about 20 minutes out. Rent is $1400 and you could easily find a 2 BR for much less. Lots of rental homes around Sedona, many on golf courses with good views, some in close-in neighborhoods, some on mini-ranches, etc., and lots of them rent for much less (and quite a few for much more). We're older (not elderly) and will be doing a lot of day trips and activities, so it just seemed especially attractive to be able to go "home" after a long day of sight-seeing and relax with a couple of good bottles of wine and that hot tub. Plus we can keep food in the house for snacks and small meals and still hit some of those restaurants everyone's been recommending. We found our rental on VRBO.

Good luck!

Edited: 24 May 2010, 23:48
Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Struggling with lodging for 4 newbies

I loved Briar Patch Inn. Private cabins, very quaint, gorgeous grounds, loved the fireplaces (not sure if they can be used in October), very good breakfast each AM, snacks in the early evening if you want. Truly just a lovely place to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Briar Patch Inn
Briar Patch Inn
412 Reviews
Sedona, AZ