We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please take a look at my itinerary...

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Please take a look at my itinerary...

I am in the final, detail specific, stages of a long planned trip to Arizona.

We are going to be in Sedona for two nights, 6/20-22 with the possiblity of spending another two nights on the trip back.

We will be arriving early on 6/20 into the area (spending the night before about an 1 1/2 hr away) and I thought we could visit Montezuma Castle, V-V Heritage site, and Montezuma Well (in that order). I would like to stop at the Red Rock Visitor Center on the way to the campground to confirm hiking plans for the next day.

On 6/21, again getting up early, I want to hike Bell Rock, visit Chapel of the Holy Cross and view Cathedral Rock at dusk (from the airport loop trail?)

So what am I missing? We're not looking to do the shopping and eating in Sedona, but rather the natural beauty and history of the area.

FYI, we are going to the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, and Petrified Forest before heading back in this direction. We are on a two week trip.

I am also planning on visiting Sunset Crater and Flagstaff on loop back before flying out of Phoenix.

Thanks for help with this and all the great info on this forum and others!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,772 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary...

If you're approaching Sedona from the north you should plan to enter via 89A and Oak Creek canyon. Hike West Fork there.

The ruins sites you mention are south of Sedona off I-17 and will require half a day, Start all the way down at Montezuma's castle, then Montezuma's Well and then V-V, working your way back up toward Sedona. The ranger office is on Hwy 179 near the Village Of Oakcreek (VOC) also south of Sedona. Bell Rock and the Chapel are north of VOC but south of Sedona, also off 179.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary...

This will actually be the first stop on our trip, so we will be coming from Phoenix area.

After Sedona, we head to Grand Canyon, then Mesa Verde, followed by Petrified Forest and then Flagstaff/ more Sedona(?) before we fly out again from Phoenix.

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary...

As RedRox indicated, you are missing Oak Creek Canyon. You will drive through OCC when you leave Sedona to go to the Grand Canyon. But you might want to spend some time there during your Sedona stay.

With just two days, I think you've planned enough. After that, just go where your heart draws you once you're here. Spend one sunset on Airport Rd and the other sunset on Upper Red Rock Loop Rd. Both provide great panorama views. URRL Rd also leads you to Red Rock Crossing, where the classic photos of Cathedral Rock with Oak Creek flowing in the foreground are taken.

Enjoy your trip!

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary...

Where are you camping?

If you have extra time consider going to the Chapel of the Holy Rocks and Tlaquepaque, possibly in the afternoon your first day.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary...

A couple things, it is hot here now so you'll want to do your hiking in the early AM. You will need bug spray because the no-see-em's are plentiful because of all the rain and snow we had this year. If you are interested in local history you must go to the Sedona Heritage Museum. http://www.sedonamuseum.org/

It is housed in the original Jordan Ranch House, great gift shop. Most of the paid tours focus on Native American culture not the early settlers of the late 1800's to date. There is a road bike touring company that does though.

Glad to hear you will have a chance to see Sunset Crater and Wupatki. The ruins there will blow your mind compared to the ruins here in Sedona!

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary...

We are planning to camp at Rancho Sedona. Any information on that campground?

I would love to stay at one of the more rustic campgrounds, but most do not take reservations. Cave Springs, which does take reservations, has maximum rv length of 30' (a foot shorter than our unit).

Deadhorse Ranch State Park would definitely work, size-wise, but it doesn't accept reservations. That's a bit too much stress for me.

Again, thanks to everyone who adds to this forum. It has been an enormous help to me in planning!

Keep the great information coming!

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary...

The tips about early hiking and bug spray are right on for this time of year. Also you probably know this, but be sure to bring plenty of water when hiking.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary...

Lo Lo Mai in Page Springs South of Sedona, sorry I don't know the exact mileage from Sedona but I would guess at around 10 miles or so. They have mostly RV camping and is more rustic but it is out of the way. The springs are fun. There is one restaurant close by and a Fish Hatchery on Page Springs Road. Rancho Sedona is very nice though.

http://www.lolomai.com/

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary...

We looked at LoLo Mai Springs as well. Maybe we'll stay there on our swing back.

10. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 05:17