We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to lookout for dangerous critters while hiking?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Need to lookout for dangerous critters while hiking?

As I'll be visiting Sedona for the first time, can anyone provide insight on how common it is to encounter the likes of rattlesnakes, scorpions, or coyotes while hiking or meandering around the Red Rocks? I know they're more scared of us than we are of them -- but I've only seen them in a zoo cage, so I'd like to be prepared for any possible encounters.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,580 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to lookout for dangerous critters while hiking?

Not overly common, but certainly a possibility. Watch where you step and stick your hands. Never saw any dangerous critters in the Sedona area, but I did see a snake (and a warning poster) at Wupatki NM last summer.

Locals can provide more useful info.

Enjoy your trip. :)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,771 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to lookout for dangerous critters while hiking?

There's really no need to worry. The greatest danger is hikers who bring their dogs. Coyotes will attack any dog on a leash or not. Otherwise, you probably won't see anything that you need to fear.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to lookout for dangerous critters while hiking?

RedRox.. opposite from what I would recommend. Bringing along a bag of poodle puppies to throw at the coyotes drives them off. Scorpions are primarily nocturnal. They don't attack. Snakes will bite if stepped on. Or if you are climing over an obstacle always make sure you can see where you are putting your hands. BTW... if a coyote does come out you then it's most likely rabid. Otherwise they either run or give you the say what look.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
946 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to lookout for dangerous critters while hiking?

It is snake season now and you should watch where you step. Do not step over logs, rock, etc. without looking. Always look before you place your hands where something could be hiding. We do have rattlesnakes here. It is not too common to actually see one but they are here. Do not attempt to go near feed or touch a javelina or any other wild animal.

Edited: 14 June 2010, 15:29
USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to lookout for dangerous critters while hiking?

OP. Since you are from NY you may not know what a javelina is. It's a small furry wild pig. Pound for pound it is probably the most dangerous animal in the southwest deserts. If ticked off they are just as apt to run at you as away. They have tusks. To put it in your perspective... think of a pack of angry pit bulls from Harlem.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
946 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to lookout for dangerous critters while hiking?

Javalina are not uncommon here. They go through my yard every

morning. A pack between 6-20 depending on if there are babies.

Edited: 14 June 2010, 21:06
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to lookout for dangerous critters while hiking?

I guess I'll be on the lookout as I could possibly be attacked by a coyote or javelina. Does the Javelina Cantina serve javelina fajitas on their menu? Just kidding.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,357 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to lookout for dangerous critters while hiking?

I really don't think you will be attacked by a coyote during a day hike. make noise (talking to hiking partners works) and most critters will go away.. We have coyotes in our backyard (well it is 1.5 acres) all the time, they run away if we yell or even ealk toward them, and they have never attacked us or our large dogs. Usually they are sleeping during the heat of the day, out later on evening, night and early morning. Listen for them howling at night!

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need to lookout for dangerous critters while hiking?

My husband hikes a lot, and he says snakes usually will try to avoid you if they hear you coming. They like to lie on the shady side of rocks during the day. They are more likely to hunt in the early morning or at night, so if you are going for a walk after dusk, be sure to take a flashlight. I have seen a couple of nonpoisonous snakes (a baby garter snake and a baby milk king snake) this year on the side of the road. They were close to the rocks, and as we approached, one of them slithered off into the rocks. We see coyotes, but mostly they are interested in easy prey like rabbits. They have attacked some dogs that were off leash, so I definitely would not walk a dog off leash.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need to lookout for dangerous critters while hiking?

A dangerous critter you may want to keep an eye out for while you are in Sedona is the infamous Rufus Petras (scientific Latin name). Though I have never had a run in with one of these myself...I believe he haunts the area that you may be visiting. He may be most commonly spotted on the golf courses in and around the Sedona area.

Yep....the Rufus Petras.....I wasn't aware of anything by that name before so I looked up the translation from Latin to English. What it translated to was..... Red Rocks (RedRox). Nah....don't think you have to worry about that critter. I know he's friendly.