We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona and surrounds over xmas?

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona and surrounds over xmas?

Hello Fellow TA's: I am wondering about a week's vacation in Sedona and surrounds over xmas. What could we expect the weather to be like? Have never been anywhere near there. We have a teenage son and could possibly travelling with our best friends and their son who is the same age. Are things still up and running? Tours, activities, etc?

We would be using our RCI Points and staying at a timeshare.

Would we be better off looking at another timeframe?

What is the best airport to fly into? We'd be either flying out of Toronto, Ontario or Buffalo, New York.

Thanks in advance,

D in Muskoka.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,060 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona and surrounds over xmas?

Sedona is a year round destination and the Christmas holiday season is no exception. The annual Festival of Lights and Red Rock Fantasy light event bring in huge crowds from Thanksgiving until January.

Weather is early winter. Generally sunny clear days with thigh temps anywhere from the 40s to the 70s, and no way to tell or predict more than a week in advance. Snow is always possible but snow that lats through a day is rare.

www.visitsedona.com

The Grand Canyon is also a popular holiday destination and you can expect severe winter weather up there.

Closest major airport is PHX Sky Harbor, 2 hours away. Las Vegas is an alternate about 5-6 hours away.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona and surrounds over xmas?

Sedona is magical at Christmas. The town is decorated beautifully and a Pink Jeep Tour Driver told me that Christmas Day is their busiest day of the year. I haven't been there on Christmas Day so I'm sure most of the stores are closed but restaurants at some of the resorts are probably open.

The hiking and beauty never close down.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona and surrounds over xmas?

If you want to use your RCI points and stay at a timeshare, I hope you currently have your request in now. It is a very popular spot to visit in Arizona - especially on holidays. Flying into Phoenix and making the 2 hour easy drive up to Sedona is your best plan. The scenery in Sedona is so beautiful that you may not want to go home. Have a fun holiday!

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona and surrounds over xmas?

I agree with Thelrose. It is magical at Christmas, and since this is a resort area, things will still be open. It is chilly, but if you bring layers and gloves and all, you will love it!!

Edited: 16 June 2010, 04:12
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona and surrounds over xmas?

Thanks so much for your prompt replies. Believe me, I have been on RCI daily and watching what is available and, all of a sudden, resorts seem to disappear into thin air. We live in Muskoka (snow in November until April) so I'm not sure if this climate will suit us in the winter. Looking for something where we don't have to bring our gloves with us! I was more thinking of being able to bring our best friends with us, as our summer vacations will are not meshing this year.

Perhaps this is a place we could still do in August (instead of Old Quebec City). Don't write me off just yet.

I do appreciate your comments. They have been really helpful.

Sedona looks like a place I really want to plan on.

D in Muskoka. (the G8 Summit is upon us next week!)

6. Re: Sedona and surrounds over xmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 07:16