We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fine tuning itinerary with 21 days to go

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fine tuning itinerary with 21 days to go

You guys have been a blessing throughout the planning stages of this 11 day trip. I booked the El Tovar in January and have been chipping away at the pieces ever since!

I've said this before - 6 of us - all adults ranging from late 30s to two in their late 60s (good farm folks so used to heat and moving around).

Sat Sept 4 / fly into Phoenix at 6:45AM, maybe breakfast at Rock Springs Café as we drive up to Page.

PAGE Sept 4, 5, 6 Courtyard By Marriott

Sept 5 - 9AM Canyons Adventure Cruise

Sept 6 - 7:30AM Colorado River Discovery

Haven't booked Upper Canyon yet but we will get that planned soon. I have all the other idea on my list so we can plan afternoons and evenings. (Dam tour, Powell museum, Horseshoes Bend, some want to do the lower Antelope Canyon. We may also do an afternoon trip to Marble Canyon/Lees Ferry/Navajo Bridge even if we do it on the way to GCNP.)

GCNP Sept 7, 8 EL Tovar

Sept 9 - As we drive to Sedona, we may stop in Williams for a look/see. Maybe lunch at Twisters or somewhere funky.

Sept 9, 10, 11, 12 B/W Arroya Roble Villa (we can drop a night and head out early if we decide to go to Prescott or elsewhere)

Again, no tours booked yet. May take the Earthwisdom Easy Canyon tour since it is the least jarring. One of our elders has a back that won't like a rough ride. Several want to reserve the Evening Sky Tour.

Of course we will visit Airport mesa and check out the must-see stuff like Chapel of the Holy Cross, etc.

I am putting together a travel booklet that lists what there is to do and see, where we are staying, overall itinerary, etc. Sedona is where I am a bit stuck. I'm trying to plan a sample itinerary based on the direction out of Sedona we have to travel. Just ideas so when we start out, we have an idea of where we want to go even if we don't make all the stops.

West of Sedona - Dry Creek Road, Boynton Canyon, Paltki, Honanki, (for example), Jerome. Is this too much in a day? Is it worth visiting Cottonwood and Clarkdale?

North of Sedona - Walnut Creek, Wupatki National Monument & Sunset Crater Volcano (maybe 35-mile-long loop drive?) a visit to Flagstaff. Museum of Northern Arizona? Is the Snowbowl skyride worth the effort? Maybe a visit to the Lowell Observatory.

South of Sedona - Some want to see Monetzuma's Castle (I've been there already) but I'm not sure what to combine as South day trip. RR State Park then Verde Valley area and MC?

Sept 13 we will stay somewhere near the airport for an 8:45AM flight out on Sept 14.

It looks like I'm over-planning but really, I'm just putting together ideas so we can make educated decisions. We don't need to have 6 people all wondering what there is to do and where everything is. Yes, we also hope to SIT, RELAX, ENJOY some of the time.

Critique, suggest, give the thumbs-up... You guys will know the travel times, distances, and do-ability of the day trips.

Thanks for ALL your help along the way.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,060 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fine tuning itinerary with 21 days to go

Your 'North of Sedona' day might be better if you skip Williams on the day you exit the GCNP. Exit at the east gate, even though you will have entered there, it's worth going back out that way and doing Wupatki/Sunset on the way down to Sedona. Adding Walnut Canyon might be more than you want to do that day, but if you really want to do it, then return on another day. As I say, your north day is too loaded already. You should be spending more time in Oak Creek canyon that day. Do a walk at West Fork. It's probably the prettiest and easiest hike/walk you can choose as it's virtually level and in the shade of the woods and along the creek. Your plans for going in different directions on different days are good, but IMO you are going to far. Focus more on things that are in Sedona instead of planning to literally leave town every day.

There is enough to do in West Sedona and MAYBE add Jerome, but you've got too much on that list again. Old town Coittonwood is neat, but again, adding it to Jerome and Tuzigoot will take more than half of a day. You will be missing Sedona. Focus that day on Red Rock SP, Red Rock Crossing, Red Rock Loop Road, Boynton Canyon, Dry Creek Road,, Palatki maybe lunch at Enchantment, and you'll never even get to Cottonwood or Jerome

Your south day means Hwy 179 and the Chapel of the Holy Cross, Cathedral Rock, Bell Rock, Village of Oakcreek and Jacks canyon are all in that direction. Once you've covered those, then consider going farther to Montezuma's Well or Castle.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fine tuning itinerary with 21 days to go

Great list. I would add Tlaquepaque to the South of Sedona list. I wouldn't add Prescott. If anything you may wish you had more time in Sedona.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fine tuning itinerary with 21 days to go

That's a great trip. You don't need to make a half day trip to Lees Ferry etc. because you already will be there with the Colorado River Discovery tour.

You're coming in the Labor Day weekend to Page and it will be busy. Maybe best to book a tour to Upper Canyon.

I agree with RedRox about leaving GC via its east entrance again. Not an ordeal at all!! Don't forget a stop at Cameron Trading Post.

Tet

4. Re: Fine tuning itinerary with 21 days to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 August 2010, 22:35
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fine tuning itinerary with 21 days to go

Maybe read TA guidelines for advertising.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,060 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fine tuning itinerary with 21 days to go

Tet, the OP did mention Evening Sky Tours. Cliff is very careful not to promote his business, but simply respond to legitimate inquiries.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fine tuning itinerary with 21 days to go

Ok mate, I believe you.

8. Re: Fine tuning itinerary with 21 days to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2011, 07:17