We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day Itinerary Review/Help

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
One Day Itinerary Review/Help

I've reviewed all of the hiking and itinerary suggestions, and I think I've developed my ideal, one-day trip; however, I wanted to run it by the forum to see if it checked out. I'll be driving from the Grand Canyon.

5am - 7:30 - Drive from GCNP to Sedona

7:30am - 10:30 - Hike Doe Mtn

11am - 1pm Jeep Tour

1pm - 2pm Lunch

2pm - 6:30pm - Hike Devil's Bridge

7pm - Catch sunset off Airport Rd.

This isn't a strict itinerary, more of a loose guide for my day (I hate keeping an exact schedule on vacation). My two primary concerns are: 1) will the drive take longer if I pull over a couple of times at viewpoints; and 2) will this give me a good perspective of the area, or will I be missing out on something I'll regret? Obviously, wish I could stay longer, but I only have 24 hours.

Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,175 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day Itinerary Review/Help

Totally unrealistic and not the best use of your time.

The drive from GCNP to Sedona will bring you down through Oak Creek canyon. Take your time and enjoy it. One hike today will be plenty.

If you drove all the way to West Sedona and hiked Doe Mtn, you would never make it back to town in time for an 11AM jeep tour. Make that your first scheduled event of the day. 11AM is fine.

Have lunch afterward and then decide if you really want to drive all teh way out to hike Devils Bridge or not.

You won't have seen the Chapel. I'd go there. Then if you want to hike, you could do Little Horse or Bell Rock Path. Or go to West Sedona and hike Doe Mtn or Boynton Canyon and enjoy sunset at Enchantment.

part of the joy of being in Sedona is the feeling of relaxation that will be all around you. You'll never feel it though if you try to race from one place to another.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day Itinerary Review/Help

A few uggestions:

Swap out the Doe Mt. Hike (way to far away from where you'll need too catch your Jeep tour) and park at the Wilson Mt. trailhead which is at Midgely Bridge. There are four trails to choose from.

- Thompson Trail if you want vistas that look over Sedona.

- Wilson Canyon - Nice short canyon hike.

- Huckaby - takes you down to Oak Creek

- Wilson Mt. - tough hike but you won't have enough time.

I think Thompson is the best option. After your hike it's only a mile or so into Uptown Sedona to pick up your Jeep tour.

After lunch, forget about Devil's Bridge, it's a lot of effort for one scenic spot.

Instead I would suggest going to the Chapel of the Holy Cross then either do one of the hikes RedRox suggest or better yet head down Back O'Beyond to the Cathedral Rock trail head. This is a truly awe inspiring hike. You don't have to go all the way up to the saddle there is a beautiful trail, Templeton, at the base of the rock. After you get up the trail to the base of Cathedral you can take a right (West) the Templeton trail will go down to the creek. There is a short section of steep switchbacks. This is a really popular hike. Or you can take a left at Templeton for an easy flat hike on slick-rock with fantastic vistas of other rock formations and the National Forest.

Sunset at the airport is just a short drive.

The views from Thompson trail, the Chapel, Cathedral, and the Airport will give a fantastic perspective of all the views Sedona has to offer. There are a lot of beautiful canyon trails but they take time. I suspect you're doing the Broken Arrow tour which not really a canyon but a narrow valley.

Have fun!

Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day Itinerary Review/Help

Thanks guys. This is exactly why I use this website.

Red, one question, can you elaborate on watching the sunset at Enchantment? Are you suggesting grabbing a table at the bar or simply pulling over on the side of the road around the resort? Thanks.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day Itinerary Review/Help

Ha - I'm not Red, but seeing the sunset from just about anywhere in Sedona is awesome. Enchantment is a beautiful resort that shouldn't be missed by anyone - go there for a drink, lunch or dinner. Brunch on Sunday isn't bad either.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day Itinerary Review/Help

Another option, as you are driving down Oak Creek Canyon, hike part of West Fork Trail.

I'd go for Templeton or Doe Mountain in the afternoon.

Too many choices, so little time.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,175 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day Itinerary Review/Help

Sunset in Sedona (and the Grand canyon) is NOT about watching the sun disappear on the horizon. It's all about watching what the waning sun light does to the red rock cliffs and canyon walls.

At Enchantment, I like to sit on the patio at TiiGavo and watch the canyon there. The sun will be gone sooner than elsewhere because of where Enchantment is located, but that's part of the enchantment of it all.

Getting up high on the Airport Mesa is nothing more than a chance to stand in a crowd of people who have no clue what they are looking at. The knoll on the airport road gives better views of the cliffs to the east, but parking there is very limited.

7. Re: One Day Itinerary Review/Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2011, 07:16