We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: Sedona and Jerome, Oct 2010

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hanalei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
295 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
TR: Sedona and Jerome, Oct 2010

Trip Report: Jerome and Sedona

We arrived in Jerome on a blustery Monday and checked into the Connor Hotel (see review) which was great. We had heard of all the ghosts in Jerome and were hoping for a little action, but all we really got (except for some “orbs” in our pictures) was a little ghost cat sitting on the bed with me at night. We ate dinner that night at The Asylum and this was the best meal of our whole trip. I had sea bass and my husband had pork tenderloin , both of which were delicious. We also had the chocolate toffee mousse cake which nearly made my eyes role back in my head with joy. The restaurant was decorated for Halloween (as were the staff) so that was fun. The most amazing thing we saw though was a beautiful moonrise. We were there after dark so didn’t get full benefit of the view, but it has to be stunning during the day.

The next day we wandered around town browsing through galleries and shops as well as checking out the mine shaft which you can walk over and look waaaaay down into with a fancy light. That night we had some yummy pizza at “Grapes” then went on a ghost tour which was great fun. The guide took us to “one of the most haunted rooms in Jerome” and it turned out to be the room we had stayed in the night before at the Connor Hotel!

The second night in Jerome we spent at the Ghost City Inn which was not nearly as good an experience as we had at the Connor (see review). We did a little more wandering around the next morning, at a hamburger at The Haunted Hamburger (average) then headed to Clarkdale for a first class ride on the Verde Canyon Railroad. This is a relaxing way to spend your afternoon, so don’t expect a thrill-a-minute experience. The scenery is beautiful, of course and the staff on the train very helpful and friendly. The food provided in first class was a little buffet of chicken wings, sub sandwiches, crudités, salad, cheese and crackers, and brownie bites. They also came around with ice cream bars ($1) on the trip back. Bottled water and potato chips were also provided. The bar had a pretty yummy prickly pear margarita (and other flavors) for $6 as well as a selection of beers and wines. Someone wrote in a review that this ride was “so boring that people were sleeping on the way back”, but I personally thought that was a GOOD thing! We weren’t bored – just relaxed and happy.

One interesting note – while my husband and I thought Jerome was very cool and interesting and we loved the people and the funky, hippy vibe we both had headaches and felt unexplainably tense the whole time we were there. The minute we left the mountain we felt totally fine. I read somewhere that some people are very sensitive to the “energy” there perhaps due to all the metal in the mountain. I’m not sure what it was but while we absolutely loved Jerome, we couldn’t wait to leave!

After the train we headed to Sedona to stay at the Sky Ranch Lodge which was a great choice (see review). We found Sedona itself to be much more hectic and crowded than we expected it to be. Also many people were very rude including drivers who honked, screamed obscenities and gave us the finger when we went too slow through one of the round-a-bouts. We did both of the Trolley tours to get an overview of the town which was a pretty good idea, but I think we would have been just as well off to get a good map and talk to someone at the chamber of commerce. One excellent tip that the guide gave us was to go to “Red Rock Crossing” on the “upper red rock canyon loop” and hike the easy hike along a beautiful stream to the base of Cathedral Rock. I have rheumatoid arthritis and so can’t do a whole lot of walking, and while my feet were a little sore at the end of the day I was definitely able to do this beautiful hike with no trouble and it was SO worth the effort. Once we got into the wilderness and away from the traffic and noise we were much happier to be visiting Sedona.

We ate at The Coffee Pot (see review), Shugrutes, El Rincon and found them all to be fine but pretty costly and nothing really special. Overall, this was a great trip but we found Sedona to be much less peaceful and calm than we had envisioned. It’s certainly in a beautiful spot though and worth the trip just to see the landscape. Probably if we had it to do over, we would get a cabin in Oak Creek Canyon and make day trips to both Jerome and Sedona.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: Sedona and Jerome, Oct 2010

Loved your trip report. We will be in Sedona in Jan. How long did it take you to make the Hike at Red Rock Crossing? Is the path smooth (I mean not rocky or rough surface) enough for a motorized wheel chair. Also, is it hilly? Depending on how long it is and and the condition of the trail, My husband may be able to use a walker with a seat on it to do this trail.

So glad you had such a nice trip. Thanks fro the report.

Hanalei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
295 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: Sedona and Jerome, Oct 2010

Well, I'm afraid that the path is too rocky in places for a wheelchair. It was level -not steep, but probably a little too rough for your husband unfortunately. You could certainly drive into the park and there is a grassy picnic area that he could get around at but there is an admission fee and I'm not sure if it would be worth it to you or not.

One thing I did mean to mention in my trip report is that Jerome is definitely not suitable for anyone with a disability. I think there is not one single building you could get into without going up at least a couple of stairs and often you have to go up MANY of them. I did it, but my knees and ankles were not happy about it for days afterward. Sadly, if you are in a wheelchair I don't think there is any point in going to Jerome except to drive up the main street and turn around and drive back.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR: Sedona and Jerome, Oct 2010

Sounds like you enjoyed yourselves. I was interested in your description of the train ride. We have thought about taking it for years, and just never got around to it.

You hike in Sedona at Red Rock Crossing is our most favorite spot in Sedona.

To the person who asked about the hike there - you could very easily go and do the first part as it's flat and parts of it have sidewalk. One part of the sidewalk trail goes to the larger, open part of the creek. A very beautiful spot. Just ask the ranger when you enter.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR: Sedona and Jerome, Oct 2010

Thanks for the TR. I enjoyed reading it and it gave me a desire to visit Jerome in October in the future, and stay overnight next time! Your meal at the Asylum sounds like fun!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR: Sedona and Jerome, Oct 2010

Thanks MBrack for the information on the Red Rock Crossing hike.

Thanks also to Thelrose for the information. I will check it out. It would be great to just go a little way on the trail to the creek.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,772 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR: Sedona and Jerome, Oct 2010

Bootsie, the paved path at the park runs right along the creek. You can have a very enjoyable time there even with mobility issues.

To the OP, sorry about the rude drivers you encountered. All of the new roundabouts in Sedona are an improvement, but they are designed to keep traffic moving. Drivers who stop when they should only be yielding, or attempt to be courteous by allowing other traffic to enter the roundabout when they in fact have the right of way, only screw things up. It is annoying to those of us who like to see the flow of traffic run smoothly.

Another source of irritation is the drivers who choose to ignore the signs on highway 179 that specifically state "No Stopping or Parking". Those who pull over into the bike lane and stop to snap a picture are creating a hazard for themselves and everyone else on the road.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR: Sedona and Jerome, Oct 2010

MBreck, I also appreciate the hint on Jermone, we would have been disapointed had we gone expecting to look around. Perhaps we can do the train ride, that has been suggested before.

Did you see an advantage to taking the First Class Car?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR: Sedona and Jerome, Oct 2010

Thanks all for the information on the trail at Red Rock crossing. That will be a must do for us. It will mean a lot to my Husband as well as myself. Are there picnic tables by the creek?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,772 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR: Sedona and Jerome, Oct 2010

Picnic tables are back in the grassy area of the park, away from the creek. But that doesn't mean you can't still picnic near the water. As I recall though, you plan to visit in January. Remember that it can be chilly at that time of year. Dress warmly or bring a blanket. The path by the creek is also in the shade of the trees. It will be much warmer in the open sunlight on the lawn.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR: Sedona and Jerome, Oct 2010

The Grassy area will do for a picnic if the sun is shining and it is not to windy. We will be dressing in layers and have hats and gloves. As suggested in previous posts i have looked at we will keep a blanket or two , water and snacks in the car at all times in case of unexpected problems on the road. We will only travel in the daytime.