We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona to San Diego

cape cod
1 post
Save Topic
Sedona to San Diego

My wife and I are driving from Sedona AZ to San Diego in late Feburary. I'm looking for advice on which route is best, interstate 8, 10 or Cal state 78. Prefer a scenic drive with possibly one night stay along the way. Any advice from past travelers appreciated.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
675 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona to San Diego

Where are you driving in from? (Phoenix to Sedona?)

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona to San Diego

I have done interstate 8 several times and 10 once. No experience with 78. From Sedona to Yuma via 8 it's your basic desert scenery. You will have some nice mountain views from Sedona to Black Canyon City and then the open desert to Yuma.

From Yuma on to San Diego it is more interesting and when you first cross into CA you have the beautiful sand dunes. I am always amazed by these and all the people drawn there to ride their vehicles around the dunes. After the dunes you start to get some beautiful mountain views.

From Phoenix area to Palm Springs via 10, there is a lot of desert then you get to Joshua Tree National Park which is an interesting stop. From Palm Springs we continued on Rt. 10/60 to 215 and south to San Diego. I remember being amazed at the beautiful mountains on this stretch of the road.

As for a stop over, Yuma, via 8, would be a good place with good accomodations but the trip is doable in a day. Palm Springs would be a choice via 10. I think that would be a more interesting place to stop and visit. We enjoyed the town and also the cable car ride to the top of the mountain.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona to San Diego

I haven't gone to San Diego from here, but I think I would take 8 if I did. However, if you take 10, you can stop at Palm Springs which is an interesting destination. If you like seafood be sure to try the Fisherman's Market. It's really fresh-very broad selection. You order at the counter, and they deliver to your table. Also there is an Outlet Mall there with lots of stores.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona to San Diego

If you want a scenic drive you can drive from Sedona to historic Cottonwood and drive 89A to Jerome. There's a SP and it's nice to stroll around Jerome a bit. Plus great views on RedRock country and San Francisco Mountains near Flagstaff. It's a mountaindrive between Cottonwood and Prescott and the pass goes over 7000 ft. Never done this in winter so ask locak advice. Prescott has a lovely down town square. Continue to Quartzside and stay for the night in Blythe Then next day drive the Imperial Sanddunes route eventually to Borrego Spings and via Julian to San Diego. As an alternative from Blythe you can take I10 to Palm Desert and up Palms to Pines hw and to Borrego S and Jukian. Will be a detour though.

Tet

5. Re: Sedona to San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2011, 06:42