We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you delete from your itinerary?

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
590 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What would you delete from your itinerary?

OK. So, I've been obsessing about what to do on a spring (late April) trip to Sedona/GCNP, and I've pretty much decided that one week won't be enough to do everything. So, for you experts, of the things I've considered, which are the most expendable (in your opinion) and are there things I shouldn't miss that aren't on my list yet?

We will be doing an overnight trip to GCNP, including driving up through Oak Creek Canyon, and we'll plan on going in one side of the park and out the other. We may decide to stay two nights at the canyon, leaving in the morning after the second night and stopping by Wupatki/Sunset Crater on the way back. But for the time in and around Sedona, I have on my potential list:

Various hikes (Bell Rock, Chapel of the Holy Cross, West Fork . . .)

Pink Jeep Tour

Jerome

Wupatki/Sunset Crater

Montezuma Castle

Area Wineries (Page Springs)

V-bar-V

We could squeeze it all in, but we want to have a little time to just "chill out", too.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would you delete from your itinerary?

First thing I would say is to chill a bit on obsessing on activities. Your trip is 5+ months away and to worry about details of activities at this early date is going to drive you nuts. Relax. OK, that said.........

Decide on 1 or 2 night SOON as accommodations will become scarce if not non-existent for the Grand Canyon. Easter is the 24th of April and lots of families will be traveling during the break. Unless you are into major hiking then 1 1/2 to 2 days with an overnight is sufficient for seeing the Canyon. And that leads me to the other thing I noticed--- for staying in Sedona, you certainly seem to want to get away from Sedona. Jerome, Wupatki, Page Springs, and 2 nights vs 1 at the Grand Canyon.

I would visit Tuzigoot on the way to Jerome. Spend some time in and around Jerome. Wupatki is a wonderful ruin site, best one we saw, but it took us until our second visit to make it there. After the Red Rocks of Sedona and the Grand Canyon, the lava fields of Sunset Crater were just black rocks. This (Waputki and Sunset) is a do IF YOU HAVE TIME IMO.

Wineries, well why go all the way to the desert to visit a winery? Again, unless you are a wine guru, do it if time permits.

And Chapel of the Holy Cross (see my Avatar) is a chapel, not a hike. Perhaps you meant Cathedral Rock?

Anyway, my point is why get to Sedona just to get in the car and leave Sedona everyday? Relax and let Sedona come to you.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
590 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would you delete from your itinerary?

I probably gave the wrong impression by saying I was obsessing. That was a bit tongue-in-cheek. But the point of my message was that I thought all the possible activities were probably too much to pack in. But I'm not trying to "get away from Sedona." If there are things in Sedona that I am missing out on, then perhaps you can help me out. I'd like to do a jeep tour and do some different hikes in Sedona.

As for Chapel of the Holy Cross, I would like to visit there, and I did think that it was a site that you could visit via a hike, but perhaps not. But I wouldn't mind adding Cathedral Rock to my list of places, as well.

I'm not sure I'd call myself a wine guru, but I am a wine lover, and usually try to visit wineries, if they happen to be in the area I am visiting. But that's not a primary location for this trip.

But I do really enjoy hiking, which is why I'm a little split on how much time to spend at GCNP. I'd like to do a couple below-the-rim day hikes, as well as do some walking along the rim trail and visit Desert View.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would you delete from your itinerary?

It depends on your particular interests as to which activities could be lower on the priority list. For example, if you have an extreme interest in petroglyph sites, then V-Bar-V is a really good one to visit. If you just adore regional wine tasting then the wineries would be a must for you.

The good thing about your list is that other than hotel reservations and Pink Jeep tour reservations, you don't need to decide on the rest until you get here. Be flexible during your visit. If you are running out of time and you'd rather hike than go to a winery, then do that.

It is often recommended to do the Pink Jeep tour on your first day. That way you get a narrated orientation to Sedona at the beginning. Depending on your arrival or departure time, you could see Montezuma Castle in an hour on the way up to Sedona or down to Phoenix (if that's where you fly) because it's just off I-17. I definitely would include a visit to Chapel of the Holy Cross.

Note on this website that V-Bar-V is not open every day:

redrockcountry.org/recreation/…v-bar-v.shtml

You'll have a great time no matter what you do here.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would you delete from your itinerary?

Fill in the blanks and it will be much easier to help you plan some days:

When (arrival time and date) and where do you fly into?

When (departure time and date) and where are you flying out of?

Where are you staying in Sedona?

Do you have accommodations booked for the Grand Canyon yet, and if so, is that one or two nights, and which nights during your AZ trip?

Not trying to be nosy, but we don't know how many days you even have to work with. If it is 3/4 then you are doing to much. If 7 or more, then not so much. It is easier to answer questions when we know more details.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
590 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would you delete from your itinerary?

Well, I did mention that it was one week. So, you can assume 7 nights. Exact flights are not set yet, but it will probably be in and out of PHX on Southwest. The flight in arrives around 2pm and the flight out leaves just before 1pm. Will probably do Saturday to Saturday, which would be the 23rd through 30th of April. Right now, GCNP is booked for two nights starting the 27th, but we could always cancel one of the two nights.

Sedona accommodations are not reserved yet.

Randolph NJ
Level Contributor
398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would you delete from your itinerary?

Some suggestions - Skip Sunset Crater especially if it takes you out of your way. Not worth it at all unless you like old volcanic black rock.

Also consider a horseback ride through the red rocks and some hikes. The Cathedral is beautiful - do not miss that.

If you get good weather 1 1/2 days at the GC might be plenty. Make it up there for late afternoon - see the sunset. Get up early and see the sunrise and tool around for half day and go back to Sedona in the afternoon through Oak Creek Canyon.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your trip!

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What would you delete from your itinerary?

Sorry, I did not know the comment about a week not being long enough meant you were definitely booked for a week.

Looks like you have a lot of options, especially if you fly out on Sat. afternoon instead of early AM. Gives you more flexibility.

Sat 23--Sedona, PM

Sun24--Sedona, PM

Mon25--Sedona, PM

Tues26-Sedona, PM

Wed27--GC, PM

Thurs28--GC, PM

Fri 29--??? PM

Sat30--PHX and home.

Sat the 23rd is shot basically. By the time you get in, get car and get to Sedona, it is at least 5pm. So that leaves Sun-Tues (3 full days) in Sedona. Here's the flexible part of your itinerary---spend Wed, AM in Sedona and the afternoon and next day at GC, Friday, work your way back through Cameron and stop at Wupatki/Sunset, stay in Flagstaff or drive on to PHX. OR Get early start on Wed, spend one night at GC and 1/2 of Thurs. Thurs afternoon, Page, Antelope Canyon. Fri AM 1/2 day river rafting trip, Wupatki and stay at Flagstaff. OR skip Page and return to Sedona to do more and complete what you didn't have time for the first 3 days. Without having to be in PHX Friday night for an early AM flight out, it leaves you with lots of possibilities. If we can get the itinerary nailed down, then filling in the activities is the easy part.

Edited: 11 November 2010, 16:40
Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
590 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What would you delete from your itinerary?

Hadn't even thought of going to Page, but that might be an interesting trip. Antelope Canyon looks pretty cool.

CT
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What would you delete from your itinerary?

StLcardfan is a literal guy so one must be very detailed when posting.

I didn't think you were obsessing as I truly enjoy the research and planning stage. I think 2 nights at the GC is ideal but do try to incorporate some chill time for Sedona or your precious vacation will past in a whir of activities. We really enjoyed our April trip and I am looking forward to my third trip later this month.

Pink Jeep and hiking are MUSTs. Don't include Page, save it for another trip. RedRocks gave me that tip about my itinerary and he was totally right although someday I want to go back and see Antelope Canyon.

Sedona is a great outdoor place to reflect and relax so make sure you devote some time to that and of course take a ton of photos, it is a beautiful journey and destination spot.

Edited: 11 November 2010, 19:30
Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What would you delete from your itinerary?

The whole Verde Valley is extremely enjoyable with 1001 things to do. Sedona is great for it's hikes and views. Jerome is really cool and I will staunchly disagree with the following statement:

"Wineries, well why go all the way to the desert to visit a winery? Again, unless you are a wine guru, do it if time permits."

Arizona wines have gained tons of great reviews, the wineries are peppered all over the valley, a short drive from Sedona, and I do not understand why one would shoot that idea down.

Do drive, do explore!

I did agree with most of the things on your plan. 1-2 nights AT the Grand Canyon is just right, 1night would be enough and would enable to do "more" things in the Sedona area.

I would recommend that you do the Wupatki/Sunset Crater loop for sure, it is a slight detour but has better/less traveled Indian Ruins than in the verde Valley.